Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I go back and edit the art credit field for my child?

I want to change the art credit information for my child. How do I do this because when I go back into the file, I cannot change the numbers

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cyclista

When you are in the deductions section, click on your child's name to edit his/her credits. This will take you to the various allowable credits. Hope this helps!!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Cyclista

When you are in the deductions section, click on your child's name to edit his/her credits. This will take you to the various allowable credits. Hope this helps!!

krystatt

For the online product, you will see a blue menu bar along the top of the screen, below the TurboTax banner. Click on the "Deductions" tab; click on "Claims for Dependants" from the menu that drops down. On the page that loads, there is a question at the bottom of the list of claims that says: "Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?". Select "Yes" and hit the continue button.

On the next page, your dependants will be listed. Click "Enter Credit Info" beside the dependant whose credit you want to remove. This will take you to a page where you can select which credits you want to claim for this dependant. One of the checkboxes will be "Children's arts amount". Keep this checkbox checked for now. Click Continue. You will get to the screen where the arts amounts were entered: "Did your child participate in an art activity?". On this page, clear out the amount for "Art activity amount" to 0, and put the percentage your claiming to 0 as well. Click continue.

You will be taken back to the screen that listed your dependants. If you like, you can click "Enter Credit Info" again, and go back to the page that listed out the credits with the checkboxes. Now you can uncheck the one beside "Children's arts amount".

As it mentions on the top of that screen, "Clearing a checkbox does not remove any information you have already entered for an item or category. To remove the associated information, use the EasyStep Navigator to go to the interview step where you entered the information, and delete it there." That's why we had to leave that checkbox checked at first to allow us to delete the actual amount entered. We can then go back and uncheck the box. Hope that helps!

Unfortunately, the entire reason I couldn't change it was because my child was over 16