Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lculling

How do I return to the page where I choose who will claim the medical expenses?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On the left nav, choose "Deductions & Credits" expand "Medical Expenses Profile" and finally select "Medical expenses claim"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

On the left nav, choose "Deductions & Credits" expand "Medical Expenses Profile" and finally select "Medical expenses claim"

lculling

Thank you very much.

@IntuitRyan This opens up easy step and the medical expenses worksheet at the bottom of the screen, but the "X" by the name of who is claiming the expenses cannot be affected or changed on my worksheet from here? So how is it done? Soemone must have had success judging by the 3 helpful "yes'" lol. The review process at the end doesn't take you to any editable page in the review steps when it asks you to make sure the proper person is claiming medical expenses either. What am I missing? I find it horrendously frustrating that the software makes assumptions instead of asking. All medical expenses are being claimed on my return when I didn't even check off boxes in the medical profile stating I had any medical expenses. I have claimed them on my wife's return the last couple of years because my tax owing is too low to use them and they have always added a decent amount to our return for my wife nothing changed from last yet the software hasn't even asked me who I want to claim the med expenses.

Sounds like you are using TurboTax Basic. The other answer is for TurboTax Standard. For TurboTax Basic: On the left nav choose "Deductions & Credits" then "Medical Expenses" on that page click "Enter private medical plans and other claims (MED WS)" and continue to the Medical worksheet. At the top of the worksheet there is a question entitled "Claim all medical expenses on the tax return for:". Click the center of the white box below you or your spouses name to change who is claiming the medical expenses. Please note you must have selected married or common-law when you started this tax return in order to do this.