Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I opened and deposited 25k into an RRSP mid Feb, 2015. I later withdrew that mid August to purchase a house, and have been contributing back to the RRSP

I opened and deposited 25k into an RRSP mid Feb, 2015. I later withdrew that mid August 2015 to purchase a house, and have been contributing back to the RRSP biweekly since september 2015. I haven't received anything in writing or can find anything on CRA MyAccount that tells me what my balance remaining to be repaid or my minimum repayment amount should be. All I have is a T4RSP that says HBP withdrawal of 25k.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

I opened and deposited 25k into an RRSP mid Feb, 2015. I later withdrew that mid August to purchase a house, and have been contributing back to the RRSP

Your repayment period starts the second year after the year you withdrew the funds from the RRSP for your HBP.  Because, you withdrew the funds in 2015, there is no minimum repayment required for 2015.  However, you can choose to start making repayments earlier.  When you receive your Notice of Assessment, you will be advised of the outstanding balance of your HBP and the minimum repayments, if any, required for the following year  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rrsp-reer/hbp-rap/rpymnts/menu-eng.html#mkng_rpmts

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fuzzy

Your repayment period starts the second year after the year you withdrew the funds from the RRSP for your HBP.  Because, you withdrew the funds in 2015, there is no minimum repayment required for 2015.  However, you can choose to start making repayments earlier.  When you receive your Notice of Assessment, you will be advised of the outstanding balance of your HBP and the minimum repayments, if any, required for the following year  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/rrsp-reer/hbp-rap/rpymnts/menu-eng.html#mkng_rpmts

So I can leave those fields blank? Or put in 25k for balance remaining and whatever I have contributed in the minimum repayment?
fuzzy

The amount in Box 27 of your T4RRSP is not included in income.  When completing the RRSP section of your return, you will enter the amount from Box 27 and answer the questions regarding the HBP withdrawal.  If you choose to designate any of your RRSP contributions as a repayment, then you will enter the amount you are designating.  Remember, you are not required to designate or repay any HBP amounts for 2015.  You should also be aware that any of your RRSP contributions that you choose to designate as a repayment are not deductible in calculating you income.  They simply reduce the repayable balance owing in your HBP