Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I moved as part of military posting, can I still claim moving deduction for the move?

I moved as part of military posting, where most expenses were covered by the employer and counted as taxable income, and I received a T4 for that. Can I still claim moving deduction for the move?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

I moved as part of military posting, can I still claim moving deduction for the move?

Absolutely....as long as your new home is at least 40 km closer to your new posting/work location.  In fact, because the expenses covered by your employer were included on your T4 and you are being taxed on this, you will want to certainly claim your eligible moving expenses to reduce or negate this amount.  Also, there may be eligible moving expenses that you incurred and were not reimbursed or covered by your employer.   You should also be aware, that if you received a reimbursement or an allowance for these expenses that was not included in your income, the moving expenses would have to be reduced by the amount of this untaxed reimbursement/allowance.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/menu-eng.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fuzzy

Absolutely....as long as your new home is at least 40 km closer to your new posting/work location.  In fact, because the expenses covered by your employer were included on your T4 and you are being taxed on this, you will want to certainly claim your eligible moving expenses to reduce or negate this amount.  Also, there may be eligible moving expenses that you incurred and were not reimbursed or covered by your employer.   You should also be aware, that if you received a reimbursement or an allowance for these expenses that was not included in your income, the moving expenses would have to be reduced by the amount of this untaxed reimbursement/allowance.  For more info, please see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns206-236/219/menu-eng.html

Thanks a lot! Now what about the question regarding the amount of income earned at new location? Does this need to accurate? if so, should I just add up the paycheck slips since the move date?
fuzzy

It should be as accurate as possible.  If you cannot get a breakdown of this info from your employer, then Yes you can use your paycheck slips to calculate the net eligible income earned at the new location