Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from leased vehicle to financed vehicle at the end of Dec 2015. How to complete CCA for new vehicle value $43k

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Switched from leased vehicle to financed vehicle at the end of Dec 2015. How to complete CCA for new vehicle value $43k

1. Passenger vehicles costing greater than $30,000 are each in a separate class 10.1 (also 30% CCA, 15% in the first year, calculated on the cost limit of $30,000). The half-year rule means that in the year that you purchased the vehicle, you can only claim a half-year of Capital Cost Allowance (50%). The CCA limit for a passenger vehicle cost is $30,000 so even if the price of a the vehicle exceeds $30,000 you can only claim $30,000 plus the GST (or HST) on $30,000 – no matter what the vehicle actually cost you. So if you bought a new van for $43,000 to use in your business, this vehicle would be in Capital Cost Allowance Class 10.1, as it cost you more than $30,000 and you would only be able to claim a capital cost of $30,000 plus the applicable GST (or HST) on $30,000.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

1. Passenger vehicles costing greater than $30,000 are each in a separate class 10.1 (also 30% CCA, 15% in the first year, calculated on the cost limit of $30,000). The half-year rule means that in the year that you purchased the vehicle, you can only claim a half-year of Capital Cost Allowance (50%). The CCA limit for a passenger vehicle cost is $30,000 so even if the price of a the vehicle exceeds $30,000 you can only claim $30,000 plus the GST (or HST) on $30,000 – no matter what the vehicle actually cost you. So if you bought a new van for $43,000 to use in your business, this vehicle would be in Capital Cost Allowance Class 10.1, as it cost you more than $30,000 and you would only be able to claim a capital cost of $30,000 plus the applicable GST (or HST) on $30,000.

Thanks very helpful.  Question do I change the rate % on T2125 from 30 to 15% due to being the first year.

Yes, its 15% in the year of acquisition.

I tried to change the percentage in turbo tax and it does not let me.  Is there somewhere else I record information on the vehicle  ie a date?

Sorry I meant form T777