Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yusiro

Should we file separately for high medical expenses?

My wife and I are looking to claim our IVF expenses from the year on our taxes. My gross income for last year was around $60,000 and hers was around $45,000.  The total for IVF expenses was around the $45,000 mark as well. Are we able to file separately and split the expenses even though we've filed together for several years?  Most of the advise I see is to file together, but we're dealing with a significant portion of our income. Thanks in advance.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You would be best to file separately.  Make sure that you match your claims to specific invoices rather than using a 50/50 split.  That way, if CRA calls in both of your medical expenses, they will be able to see that there is no double-dipping.  Make sure your incomes are on each other's returns.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You would be best to file separately.  Make sure that you match your claims to specific invoices rather than using a 50/50 split.  That way, if CRA calls in both of your medical expenses, they will be able to see that there is no double-dipping.  Make sure your incomes are on each other's returns.