Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If a new immigrant (landed in July 2017 so RRSP contribution room for 2017= 0), contributed in employer provided Group RRSP to capture company match - Is it a mistake?.

I already contributed in my employer group RRSP in 2017 but will not claim RRSP deduction in Apil 2018 tax filling.

1) Will there be a problem specially when money in this group RRSP is below $2000 over-contribution limit  ?.

2) Should I continue or stop further RRSP contribution for 2018 as my RRSP will hit $2000 in Feb. 2018  and  my contribution room for 2018 will be known to me only after I files taxes in April 2018 ?

Please advice me. Thank You.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If a new immigrant (landed in July 2017 so RRSP contribution room for 2017= 0), contributed in employer provided Group RRSP to capture company match - Is it a mistake?.

If the amount is within the $2000 cushion, you will not be penalized.  As to continuing to contribute in 2018, you may wish to complete your 2017 tax return and see what your limit for 2018 is first.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If the amount is within the $2000 cushion, you will not be penalized.  As to continuing to contribute in 2018, you may wish to complete your 2017 tax return and see what your limit for 2018 is first.

Just to clarify...as long as you had working income (income from employment and/or self employment) in 2017, then you will have RRSP contribution room in 2018.  How much is a calculation based on the 2017 earned (working) income...thus my advice to wait until you have completed your 2017 return and learn your 2018 RRSP limit.

Perfect @TurboTaxJeffrey . Really appreciate your quick response and guidance. Thank You !!
waleed-ch

Hi @New_Immigrant ,
This year I am in the same situation as you mentioned above.
Could you please confirm how did you proceed and how much was the penalty, if any?
I have not filed my taxes yet.

Thank you!