Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I specify Self-employment type = "Business", rather than "Professional" in TurboTax Free 2017?

The dropdown choices available do not create income on T1 Line 135.

Last year in 2016 TurboTax Online Free, I believe there was a choice of "Business" - not just "Professional", "Commission" or "Other types of business" in the business type dropdown. It definitely allowed me in 2016 to create it in Line 135 in my T1. In 2017 - it doesn't appear I can create self-employment "Business" income on T1 Line 135. I can only create the income as "Professional" on Line 137.

See a screen grab of the available choices in TurboTax Free 2017.

How do I create that income as "Business"?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I specify Self-employment type = "Business", rather than "Professional" in TurboTax Free 2017?

So I found out via a call to a support agent. Perhaps the dialogue order changed this year, and/or the wording. If you select from the drop down the third choice, "Other types of business", you will end up generating the Business type = "Business" and the income correctly appearing on Line 135 of your return.

It would probably be helpful if the drop down was presented in this order as it actually appears in the T1 (and in the likely order of use by users... 'Business' being probably the most common):

(drop down)
Select Type:

• Business
  • Professional
  • Commission

View solution in original post

1 Reply

So I found out via a call to a support agent. Perhaps the dialogue order changed this year, and/or the wording. If you select from the drop down the third choice, "Other types of business", you will end up generating the Business type = "Business" and the income correctly appearing on Line 135 of your return.

It would probably be helpful if the drop down was presented in this order as it actually appears in the T1 (and in the likely order of use by users... 'Business' being probably the most common):

(drop down)
Select Type:

• Business
  • Professional
  • Commission