Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrew16

I'm from Van, BC & have 2,200 (inc.GST & PST) in receipts. Under Tradespersons tools expense, there are 3 columns (GST, HST, Zero rated), which column do i enter this in?

And would this amount be the same under the Mechanic tools expense? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm from Van, BC & have 2,200 (inc.GST & PST) in receipts. Under Tradespersons tools expense, there are 3 columns (GST, HST, Zero rated), which column do i enter this in?

British Columbia is not an HST participating province so any expenses incurred in BC would be entered under the GST column.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
conorco

I am on odsp can i fill out forms

British Columbia is not an HST participating province so any expenses incurred in BC would be entered under the GST column.

andrew16

Thank you.  Would I put the same amount of expense under the "Apprentice mechanic tools expense" as I would under "Tradesperson's Tools Expense"? Will Turbo tax automatically do the necessary calculations?

Expenses entered for BC should be entered under the GST column, whether they are apprentice mechanic tools expense or tradesperson's tools expense.  Just don't enter the same expense under both categories since then they will be claimed twice.
andrew16

Thanks Robert, much greatly appreciated for your help.  I will enter the #s in the GST column.  However, there are 2 sections, the tradeperson's tools expense, and apprentice tools.  Should I enter the full 2,200 in Tradeperson's tools and 0 in Apprentice or 500 & 1700 or 2,200 & 2,200 and turbo tax will do the necessary calculations? How should I be allocating this?  Hope this makes sense

The allocation is up to you since at the end of the day you will get the same $2,200.00 employment expense claim in your return regardless of how you distribute the claim between the two categories.