Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markusw

I get an allowance to purchase computer equipment, for my cellphone bill and office furniture. How do I report it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I get an allowance to purchase computer equipment, for my cellphone bill and office furniture. How do I report it?

Ok, so this is not a reimbursement from an employer as I had originally thought. 🙂

What you need to do is report all your income and expenses as Self-Employed on a T2125 - Statement of Business Activities. Your income is going to include the "invoices" you sent the American company, and your expenses will be the actual receipts which you have kept.

If you had submitted the receipts to the company and received a straight across reimbursement, you would need to do nothing as they would be using the actual receipts as their own expense or write off, and you would not have been considered to have received any income. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Is your allowance reported in your income (included on your T4)? And has your employer provided you with a T2200 Declaration of Conditions of Employment?
markusw

Right, I guess I missed some essential information here - should post question from my cell after midnight...

I was self-employed last year, contracting with an American company as a Software Developer. The company granted 4 kinds of allowances:

1. Computer Equipment
2. Connectivity (Cellphone, internet)
3. Office Improvements
4. Education

I have invoiced for these allowances as per the agreement with my client, without providing receipts - but the money was spent as intended. I have of course not received a  T4 or other type of Canadian Tax documentation for this period.

Any insights?

Thanks a bunch!

Ok, so this is not a reimbursement from an employer as I had originally thought. 🙂

What you need to do is report all your income and expenses as Self-Employed on a T2125 - Statement of Business Activities. Your income is going to include the "invoices" you sent the American company, and your expenses will be the actual receipts which you have kept.

If you had submitted the receipts to the company and received a straight across reimbursement, you would need to do nothing as they would be using the actual receipts as their own expense or write off, and you would not have been considered to have received any income. 

markusw

Perfect, makes sense. Thank you.