Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I sold my primary property in December 2017 but the final closing was Feb 2018 with legal fees/docs/letters then do I report this for 2017 taxes or next year for 2018?

Also this being my primary property I believe the capital gains on it should not be taxable?  I would just like to be clear if I need to report this in my taxes I will be submitting for 2017 or do it next year for 2018 taxes?  

If I do need to report this for 2017 then do I need to submit another form ( I think it is 2091).

Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I sold my primary property in December 2017 but the final closing was Feb 2018 with legal fees/docs/letters then do I report this for 2017 taxes or next year for 2018?

If the closing on the sale took place in 2018 then the reporting of the disposition will be done in your 2018 tax return and, based on your comments, you will report this as a sale of your principal residence so that you will enter the details of the sale but no capital gains will be applicable due to this being a sale of your principal residence.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If the closing on the sale took place in 2018 then the reporting of the disposition will be done in your 2018 tax return and, based on your comments, you will report this as a sale of your principal residence so that you will enter the details of the sale but no capital gains will be applicable due to this being a sale of your principal residence.