Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_v5s

Can I claim FICA on Canadian return?

Hi, I am Canadian and working in US. I got W-2 and paid Social security tax as well as Medicare tax. When I file Canadian tax return, can I claim these as deduction? If yes, how to claim it (form or easy step question).

Thanks

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will need to report your foreign income in Canadian dollars. You might get a foreign tax credit for taxes you paid in the foreign country. 

To report your foreign income and claim the tax credit, do the following:

1. In Easy Step, when you begin completing your tax profile, on the first page titled ...what happened for you in 2017?, at the first question ..did you work in 2017?, select Yes, and then select I was employed (includes commissions from employment)
  2. The section expands with additional choices. 

3. In the expanded section, select Foreign - Income from outside of Canada.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You will need to report your foreign income in Canadian dollars. You might get a foreign tax credit for taxes you paid in the foreign country. 

To report your foreign income and claim the tax credit, do the following:

1. In Easy Step, when you begin completing your tax profile, on the first page titled ...what happened for you in 2017?, at the first question ..did you work in 2017?, select Yes, and then select I was employed (includes commissions from employment)
  2. The section expands with additional choices. 

3. In the expanded section, select Foreign - Income from outside of Canada.

james_v5s

Thanks Jared. I was waiting for email notification for the answers to my question, but I didn't get it until I was trying to answer other person's question and found your answers. Thank you.
james_v5s

Do you know if "Social security tax and Medicare tax." are 100% tax deductible or 15 %?

james_v5s

Thanks Jared. The link seems for income. I would like to know if I can claim social security tax withheld and medicare tax withheld against Canada tax deduction. some people said it should be 100% and some said 15%. Confused...
MaroofHSCPA
Returning Member

100% of social security taxes are added to foreign taxes paid in Canada, for the purpose of claiming FTC. 

15% is for people who receive Social security benefits from the U.S.