Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fiona

Self employed for entire year, but also employed as a remote employee (with a T4) for 8 months. How to claim home office and supplies?

I have been self employed for several years, working in my home office. This year I was also employed but only from May to December (with a T4 slip). My employer in a different province filled out the T2200 form so that I could claim my home office as I was a remote employee. I continued being self employed during that time as well, but with less hours committed to my own business. I normally deduct 25% of my home expenses for my home office and all the other expenses, but how do I do this when I'm also deducting the same home office for my full time job? I don't want to claim twice. Also, I should be able to claim office supplies for my full time job - or do I still put this on the self-employed form? Help please! Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TurboTaxLynda
Intuit Alumni

Self employed for entire year, but also employed as a remote employee (with a T4) for 8 months. How to claim home office and supplies?

I am in the same situation and since I have to complete form T2125 for my self-employment, and it is the same line of work, I choose to include all my expenses in my self-employment statement.  If your T4 is for the same line of work as your self-employment this is the easiest choice.  

If it's a completely different line of work, you may choose to report on both T2125 and Employment expenses but make sure you don't claim twice for the same expense.  You could just add on your Employment expenses the expenses specific to that work (T4), that you would not take otherwise on your T2125.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TurboTaxLynda
Intuit Alumni

I am in the same situation and since I have to complete form T2125 for my self-employment, and it is the same line of work, I choose to include all my expenses in my self-employment statement.  If your T4 is for the same line of work as your self-employment this is the easiest choice.  

If it's a completely different line of work, you may choose to report on both T2125 and Employment expenses but make sure you don't claim twice for the same expense.  You could just add on your Employment expenses the expenses specific to that work (T4), that you would not take otherwise on your T2125.

fiona

Thank you so much for your answer. It's the same line of work, so claiming on the T2125 makes sense and is the easiest choice. 🙂
TurboTaxLynda
Intuit Alumni

Always a pleasure 😉