Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ksremenda

How do I properly account for my rent and cellphone when running a home based business?

turbo tax doesnt seem to be adding my rent or my cellphone deductions.  I am entering them under the "other expenses" specify section in T2125 home expenses section but its not being added to my business expenses

4 Replies

How do I properly account for my rent and cellphone when running a home based business?

In order to better assist you, we'd like a bit more information. Are your other home office expenses being deducted properly?
ksremenda

they appear to be.  although im not positive

The most common reason for your business-use-of-home expenses not appearing is a mistake the "number of rooms/square footage" question. Check your entries for the number of rooms used for business & number of rooms total.

Also, be sure to enter your rent/phone expenses for the entire year (not just the pro-rated portion). TurboTax will calculate the proper amount based on the number of rooms/square footage.

ksremenda

Hi Jennifer I followed your advise, but its still doesn't seem to be accounting for my rent or cell phone.  the tax write off amount doesn't change when I change the usage numbers.  Could there be anything else?