Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eroodaif

Can i (as a sole pro) write off expenses for both a home based business portion and an office (by having a service at regus) at the same time?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i (as a sole pro) write off expenses for both a home based business portion and an office (by having a service at regus) at the same time?

From what you've described, your home is your headquarters which means it qualifies as your "principal place of business". You can claim business-use-of-home expenses (home office).

If the other "location" isn't used to meet clients, etc. it sounds more like a cost of doing business rather than an office space. The fees you have related to the mail address service would be deductible. You can opt for the Management and Administration Fees category (along with your bank fees, etc.) or simply list the cost as Other Expenses.

* If you opt to use the Other Expenses category, be sure to use the spot in the Business Expenses section, not the Business-Use-of Home "other" spot. Otherwise, the expense will be pro-rated and you want to deduct it fully.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If I understand your question, you're asking if it's allowable to claim both a home office for your business as well as expenses for another office not in your home. Correct?
eroodaif

Hi Jennifer, yes you are correct. The main place to work is home and another service(to rent Regus’s mail address service for business registration). Is it possible to claim both of them?

From what you've described, your home is your headquarters which means it qualifies as your "principal place of business". You can claim business-use-of-home expenses (home office).

If the other "location" isn't used to meet clients, etc. it sounds more like a cost of doing business rather than an office space. The fees you have related to the mail address service would be deductible. You can opt for the Management and Administration Fees category (along with your bank fees, etc.) or simply list the cost as Other Expenses.

* If you opt to use the Other Expenses category, be sure to use the spot in the Business Expenses section, not the Business-Use-of Home "other" spot. Otherwise, the expense will be pro-rated and you want to deduct it fully.

eroodaif

Thanks a lot.

What type of plan/product of Turbotax would you recommend?
My situation is: a new sole proprietorship for consulting business, one as a employee with T4, and a freelancer (paid by cheque when there's a case).

Since I have no idea how to claim expenses for each of jobs, the Start up cost for my consulting business (including fees such as tuition, registration, etc), care mileage for each activities, tax rate etc (considering to change the structure of my consulting business to Inc later). I am looking for a Turbotax program that can provide me with all the related questions and not sure there is any. So what would be the best product of Turbotax for me?

You have a few great options available. There's our Self-employed version. It has lots of built-in guidance in the business section. Another option (and my recommendation for first-time business owners) is our TurboTax Live Assist & Review service. Along with the built-in guidance, you also have the added benefit of Expert assistance. Not only can you get help from an expert while working on your return, you also receive a full review of your return prior to filing. Here's a link for more info: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/personal-tax-software/live-assist-review-self-employed.jsp?iref=axc_fy18_...  (And don't forget that the cost of tax prep is a deductible business expense!)
eroodaif

I will go for the TurboTax Live Assist & Review service, Thanks a lot!