Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevince52

How do I claim more than $8000 for child care without claiming disability amount transfer?

I am claiming the child care expenses for my son. He qualifies for the disability tax credit. I can claim up to $11,000. The only way I can get it to take the full amount is if I claim the Disability amount transfer. My wife has already done this but is the higher income earner. I need to claim the child care expenses. Can you help out?

3 Replies

How do I claim more than $8000 for child care without claiming disability amount transfer?

Are you preparing a coupled return (both your return and your spouse's at the same time)? Because  the disability amount transfer has an added calculation for minors that involves childcare amounts, how you'll proceed will be different depending on if you're preparing a coupled return or just your own.
kevince52

It’s just my own. My wife does hers separately.

In order to have the correct Childcare deduction amount for a disabled child correctly post to the lower income spouse's tax return, you'll need to "prepare" the tax returns for both you and your spouse together using TurboTax Online. When it comes to to file the returns, you can choose to only file your own.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2648033