Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roadrun72

Where do I report income from a US 1099-MISC on a Canadian tax return?

10 Replies

For the downloaded version of the software, please see screenshot attached to show you where to enter in your 1099 slip on your Canadian tax return.

This will appear after you have completed the Profile section of your tax return.

Online version - you would put it under 'Other income(line 130)' on the foreign slip and make sure to enter State and Federal taxes paid next to that box. 

• This slip is found under the Income tab > Tslips > Foreign
roadrun72

I thought the foreign slip section was specifically for listing foreign employment income. 1099-MISCs report 'non-employment income' meaning one worked as an independent contractor.

@roadrun72  - You would use the "other  foreign income" section to enter in your non-employment income.

What about for the on-line (or Internet) version of TurboTax Canada?  Can you send the instructions on how to enter the US 1099 slip?

Same question as Alain above. Also, what is the recommended exchange rate? At time of earning (multiple dates in 2018).... or at time of submitting (4/2019)?

@alainblondeau @melissa_nitoiu -please see the revised answer to include the online version entry of the 1099-MISC slip. Thank you.

@melissa_nitoiu Use the annual average exchange rate for the earning year (2018) from the Bank of Canada, found here: https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/annual-average-exchange-rates

For foreign self employed income ( 1099).  Should I put in self employment or under foreign tax? If put in foreign tax, should I put net amount or gross amount? Thank you

@Judy2000zhang

You'll enter the foreign income in the Foreign Income section of your return. You'll need to convert the income and deductions to Canadian dollars.

Click the following link for additional information: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/other-income/help/how-do-i-report-foreign-income-fore...