Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhambly1465
Returning Member

Why does Line 437 on 2017 return show less total tax deducted than the total amount on entered T4/T4A slips?

CRA has picked up an error in line 437: it's showing $4000 less than total tax deducted as per entered T4/T4A slips. I have doubled check this as well as checking that T-slips as entered match those on the CRA website. Conversely, my spouse's line 437 is showing around $4000 more than her actual tax deducted from her T-slips. After being contacted by CRA I ensured software was still up-to-date and recalculated. This resulted in the same discrepancy. What is going on? CRA now require me to resubmit both mine and my spouse's returns but I can't use the software because it is still showing the wrong 437 amounts. This means I have to resubmit manually-completed returns. Clearly there is a flaw in the software. 

5 Replies

Why does Line 437 on 2017 return show less total tax deducted than the total amount on entered T4/T4A slips?

Are you doing pension income splitting? IF so, the TOTAL income will be out but look at the NET income.
mhambly1465
Returning Member

Yes I am. Still would have expected individual tax deducted amounts at line 437 would match the T-slips, with the software doing the calculations in the background for required tax.

When you are splitting your pension, the taxes withheld from this pension are also split at the same % as your income. This way the other spouse doesn't have income added for which no taxes were deducted.

needtaxhelp3
Returning Member

I came across this item this year and in a call with a Turbo Tax customer service rep, she sent me a link to this chat. I note that it is almost 4 years old. Was this item resolved? I don't understand why Turbo Tax would adjust taxes withheld from the T4A slips as they are what was remitted to the CRA. Pension income splitting should affect taxes payable, not taxes withheld? Given that so much time has passed and Turbo Tax is doing the same thing now as in 2019, I assume that the CRA is fine with how the Turbo Tax program is working?

As per the instructions on the T4A-RCA slip, boxes 14, 16, 18, and 20 go into line 13000 - Other Income