Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John77

Can I amend a prior year return to reduce the amount of RRSP contributions I deducted and instead carry forward that amount?

Early in my career (from 2012 on) I made fairly significant contributions to my RRSP and deducted all of those contributions in the years that I made them.

I now fall into a higher tax bracket and would like to amend my prior year returns so as to change those previous deductions into carryover amounts and instead claim them as deductions under my current higher tax bracket.

I understand that individual lines from returns can be amended using CRA MyAccount. I am unsure as to whether I can do this using TurboTax online.

If I do amend a prior year return to change an RRSP deduction amount to a carryover amount, will CRA expect that I pay back the difference in taxes for that year before I amend the future year to claim the deduction?

Further, would CRA assess interest on the difference in taxes from a prior year being amended?

Thanks

2 Replies

Can I amend a prior year return to reduce the amount of RRSP contributions I deducted and instead carry forward that amount?

Yes, you can make changes to prior year returns as long as it is in the last 10 calendar years.  Please see the following FAQ for instructions on how to file an adjustment request.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992

John77

Thanks Mary-Ann. To add to this, CRA advised by telephone that interest *would* be applicable to past year amendments of this sort.