Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I paid rent to a home builder because our mortgage did not take effect immediately, can I claim that rent expense along with the property tax paid for the year?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I paid rent to a home builder because our mortgage did not take effect immediately, can I claim that rent expense along with the property tax paid for the year?

Yes, if you paid rent for a portion of the year, you will need to indicate on your income tax return, how many months you paid rent for and then indicate how many months you paid property tax as well.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, if you paid rent for a portion of the year, you will need to indicate on your income tax return, how many months you paid rent for and then indicate how many months you paid property tax as well.

Where can I enter this information?