Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tong
Returning Member

Should I declare foreign interest & dividends under "T-slips" or "Investment Profile"? (Or both?)

There are two places under "Income & Expenses" that take the same foreign income info:

1. T-slips > Foreign Income > Foreign Interest & Dividends; and
  2. Investment profile > Interest & Investment Income > Income from foreign sources 2018

What is the difference between the two places, how do I decide which one to enter the data? If I enter it in both, will my income get double-counted?

(I realize I may also have to declare the details in form T1135).

Thank you.

5 Replies

Should I declare foreign interest & dividends under "T-slips" or "Investment Profile"? (Or both?)

There are many factors to look at when filing your foreign income sources with the CRA.

• From the CRA – How do you report income from information slips? (at the bottom of that page, you will see a link for line 121, this will tell you what you need to know about interest & dividends) https://bit.ly/2CDrXrz

Also, if we have a tax treaty with the country in question, because if we do, then there are other credits to take into consideration to ensure you are not being double taxed. Such as the Foreign Tax Credit.

Then the question of the T1135 - We want to know about your World Income. It boils down to whether you get a full year or is it prorated. You will not be taxed twice, as mentioned before. This can be found under the Income & Expense tab, Other Income Sources then T1135.

T1135 from TurboTax Tips: https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/t1135-tax-form-foreign-income-verification-400

So as mentioned above, this is not a quick process, you need to understand all tax implications to anything being reported in Foreign sources.

Apply for the FTC -in your "Find" icon at the top of the page, type in "Foreign Tax Credit" which will open the form needed to apply for this credit, if applicable.

You can claim a foreign tax credit for the taxes that you paid in the foreign country. The foreign tax credit is the lesser of two amounts:

• The income tax you paid on the foreign country

• The Canadian tax payable on the foreign source of income.

I hope that clarifies it a bit for you. Happy Filing!

tong
Returning Member

Thanks, so it sounds like I need only enter my foreign source investment income in one place : 1. T-slips. And I can therefore ignore 2. Investment profile.  Is that correct?

You will enter your income source based on the Tslips you have, yes. You do not enter amounts twice, as this will create double sourced income amounts.
tong
Returning Member

Thank you!

You are most welcome!