Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am not self employed(only 1 T4) but at the review turboTax claims I am self-employed (did not check the box at interview).All I have are T4/ T3/T5/T5013.

5 Replies

I am not self employed(only 1 T4) but at the review turboTax claims I am self-employed (did not check the box at interview).All I have are T4/ T3/T5/T5013.

Does your T4 have box 88 amount?

@TurboTaxLise - Box88 shows "0". I suspect is the T5013 slip (Limited partnership) from a stock that i own? But I am no expert. Other than that my return is quite straight forward.

Once I get to "review" and click back to the interview page, the "self-employed" checkbox is checked again, doesn't matter how many times I clear and save.

I am going to ask you to contact our support team with this if you have unchecked the box and it still is giving you an error. They will be able to view your screen to assist you better.  Answer the questions, so it guides you towards the right team.  Apply the drop downs and you will get a phone number specified to your question (ie - support, care): 

I found out the reason.

TurboTax treated Box24 in T3 as self employment income.(it was incorrectly used by the issuer) once I corrected that information, the self employment warning disappeared.

fyi: according to the issuer, the amount should be foreign non-business income. So moving the value to the correct box solved the issue.

Thank you for your help @TurboTaxLise .

You are most welcome, glad you managed to get the issue resolved!