Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cam4

How to calculate travel expense by mileage for going to rental properties to do repair jobs by myself?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to calculate travel expense by mileage for going to rental properties to do repair jobs by myself?

If you are claiming Motor Vehicle or Travel expenses for your rental property, CRA requires you to record your KMs travelled and a total of your expenses (fuel,repairs,insurance) and claim only the percentage that applies.

From the CRA Rental Income guide: 

Personal use of a motor vehicle:

If you use a motor vehicle (including passenger vehicle) for both earning rental income and for personal use, you can deduct only the percentage of expenses related to earning the rental income. To support the amount you can deduct, keep a record of both the total kilometres you drove and the kilometres you drove to earn rental income.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/rental-income/completing-form...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you are claiming Motor Vehicle or Travel expenses for your rental property, CRA requires you to record your KMs travelled and a total of your expenses (fuel,repairs,insurance) and claim only the percentage that applies.

From the CRA Rental Income guide: 

Personal use of a motor vehicle:

If you use a motor vehicle (including passenger vehicle) for both earning rental income and for personal use, you can deduct only the percentage of expenses related to earning the rental income. To support the amount you can deduct, keep a record of both the total kilometres you drove and the kilometres you drove to earn rental income.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/rental-income/completing-form...

Cam4

thank you for the answer. Can I claim 58 cent per km for the trip for earning rental income purpose such as go to Homedepo to buy parts or shopping to different hardware stores to buy the right part?

I own multiple rental properties and I would like to input my mileage on to my tax return but I don't know where or see the option? Where do I find it?