Note: These steps apply to 2020 and earlier tax years. You don't need to claim the CAI on your 2021 tax return. However, you'll still need to file a return to receive CAI payments. You also need to indicate if you're eligible for the 10% rural supplement.
For prior tax years, you can claim the CAI payment on T1 line 45110 of your personal income tax return. Only one payment is allowed per household, so decide which family member will apply and the payment will be added directly to their return.
Watch the video above or follow these steps to claim your CAI payment in TurboTax Online:
- Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the menu
- Enter provincial tax, select Provincial Tax Credit Profile from the list of results, and then select Go
- On the Your Provincial Profile step, select the checkbox for Climate Action Incentive (CAI) federal credit available for residents
- Answer the questions on the Climate Action Incentive step, then select Continue
- Answer the question(s) on the You're eligible to receive credit for CAI - let's see how much you qualify for step, then select Continue
- The Good news! This is the total credit you're receiving step will appear with your eligible credit amount