When you start a new return, TurboTax will ask Do you have children or financially support another person? in the INTRODUCTION section of your return.
Information about your dependants (like their birthdate, their relationship to you, and their income) is used to determine your eligibility for certain credits and deductions, so be sure to enter this info accurately.
To jump back to this step in your TurboTax return:
- Select Find from the menu and enter dependants
- Select Dependants from the list, then select Go
- If you've already entered one or more dependants, skip to Step 6. If not, answer Yes to the question Do you have children or financially support another person?, then select Continue
- Select Continue on the dependant transfer step
- Enter your dependant's information and select Continue
- On the Dependants Summary, select Enter New Dependant or Done With Dependants, as applicable
Important: You can't claim your spouse or common-law partner as a dependant, even if they have no income.