Note: These steps apply to 2020 and earlier tax years. You don't need to claim the CAI on your 2021 tax return. However, you'll still need to file a return to receive CAI payments. You also need to indicate if you're eligible for the 10% rural supplement.
For prior tax years, you can claim the CAI payment on T1 line 45110 of your personal income tax return. Only one payment is allowed per household, so decide which family member will apply and the payment will be added directly to their return.
Watch the video above or follow these steps to claim your CAI payment in TurboTax CD/Download:
- Select Find (or the magnifying glass icon) from the menu
- Enter provincial, select Provincial tax credit profile from the list of results, and then select Go
- On the Your Provincial profile step, select the checkbox for Climate Action Incentive (CAI) federal credit for residents
- Select Continue until you reach the Climate Action Incentive step. Choose the option that best matches your situation, then select Continue
- Answer the questions on the Let's see if you qualify for Climate Action Incentive step, then select Continue
- Answer the question(s) on the Good news! You qualify for the Climate Action Incentive step, then select Continue
- The Congratulations! You're eligible to receive a tax benefit this year step will appear, confirming that you've claimed the CAI