Once you’ve installed and opened TurboTax CD/Download for the current tax year, TurboTax should automatically locate your tax data files from last year for you, and show them to you on the Welcome screen.
- Transfer from TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/Download isn't supported
- You can edit or delete any info that transfers. Edit it the same way you would if you had entered it manually
- You can only transfer from the prior year when you start a new return for the current year; you can’t transfer into a current year return you’ve already started
- Install and open TurboTax for the current tax year
- Select Transfer into a new 2021 return beside the return from last year you’d like to transfer from
By default, TurboTax saves your tax data files in the Documents folder on your computer. The specific folder location is:
C:/Users/user_name/My Documents/TurboTax/tax_year (user_name is your Windows user name and tax_year represents the tax year).
Make sure you save all of your tax data files in that same location. If TurboTax CD/Download doesn’t find your returns from last year, try searching for them by their file extension on your computer. All TurboTax CD/Download files are named *.TTtax_year. For example, if you’re looking for your tax year 2020 files, search for *.TT20.