Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Jan 21, 2024 11:57:55 AM

stored data

I went to begin my 2023 tax.  I started by wanting to access my 2022 return to upload the stored data.  I discovered that all stored data from all my Turbo Tax folders since 2011 no longer contain any of my stored returns. 

0 19 1184
19 Replies
Jan 21, 2024 12:11:26 PM

Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Level 1
Jan 21, 2024 12:36:56 PM

I'm using the downloaded version, always have.

Thanks for the speedy help

Jan 21, 2024 1:02:26 PM

The default save location for TurboTax CD/Download is: C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\TurboTax\

If you can’t find your files there, you can use the search function of Windows to look for files with the TurboTax extension (.ttxx). Ex: For 2022 the extension would be .tt22 and for 2021 it would be .tt21.

Unfortunately, since the return files are saved on your computer, if you can’t find them, we don't have copies of the files and can't help recover them.

Level 1
Jan 21, 2024 1:07:09 PM

I have already tried all of that.  My big concern now is Identity Theft.  It's very odd that these are the only folders that should have data missing.  At least they are the only folders I have noticed so far with missing data.  Do you have any record of hackers targeting Turbo Tax customers and downloading their returns?  Imagine all the personal data on a tax return.  Any thought as to how these files came to be deleted?

Jan 21, 2024 1:39:34 PM

I can’t comment on identity theft or computer security as it’s beyond the scope of this forum.

I also can’t say how the files got deleted, but some common reasons are:

• Accidental Deletion
  • Change of computer or of computer hard drive
  • External, network or cloud drive is disconnected and that’s were the files were stored

Jan 31, 2024 1:24:14 PM

Same issue just occurred with a store bought cd it wiped out all returns for multiple prior years can someone explain why this is our problem and how they plan to fix it???

Jan 31, 2024 1:35:12 PM

@Arjend 

As I mentioned above, some common reasons your TurboTax CD/Download files are missing is:

• Accidental Deletion
  • Change of computer or of computer hard drive
  • External, network or cloud drive is disconnected and that’s were the files were stored

The default save location for TurboTax CD/Download is: C:\Users\yourusername\Documents\TurboTax\

If you can’t find your files there, you can use the search function of Windows to look for files with the TurboTax extension (.ttxx). Ex: For 2022 the extension would be .tt22 and for 2021 it would be .tt21.

Unfortunately, since the return files are saved on your computer, if you can’t find them, we don't have copies of the files and can't help recover them.

Level 1
Feb 1, 2024 5:19:35 AM

On the advice of a friend, I purchased an undelete app. I didn’t even know they existed but he explained if a file has lost its identifier, it is still on your hard drive but can’t be found. When I ran the undelete it found my data from 2022 but not the data from the previous years. Not sure why yet but at least I have the previous year. 

Feb 1, 2024 5:28:43 AM

Thank you for updating us. It's good you have your 2022 return. You may also get your information from your MyAccount at the Canada Revenue Agency.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 1
Feb 1, 2024 6:15:21 AM

After reading that this other Turbo Tax user suffered exactly the same problem as I, makes me very suspicious that what is happening with Turbo Tax deleted files is being caused by the Turbo Tax app upon downloading and implementing. I would appreciate if you could escalate this issue within your teams to determine if there is a link. 

Level 1
Feb 1, 2024 6:19:48 AM

By the way, the information you can get from CRA is not the information that is moved from one year’s return to the next year’s return. You do not get depreciation status on equipment and/or vehicle  depreciation status for example. 

Feb 1, 2024 7:55:48 AM

We appreciate your feedback, and we have sent your information to our investigation team as requested. We will reach out to you as soon as we have a response back.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Apr 17, 2024 10:39:27 PM

I am having the exact problem as identified in this thread. I have just purchased TT23 and have discovered that my 2021 and 2022 files and program cannot be found. Running an undelete is not working. (And no, I haven’t deleted the files myself or changed computers). Do you have a solution to this problem noted in January?

Apr 18, 2024 5:50:25 AM

Are you also using TurboTax Desktop on a Windows computer?

Apr 18, 2024 7:49:26 AM

Yes. I am using Windows 11.

Apr 18, 2024 10:53:35 AM

Even if you are using our Download software, please clear your cache/cookies, sign out of your account and restart your computer.

You may also read this information: Windows 10 and Windows 11 in S mode FAQ

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Apr 18, 2024 1:46:37 PM

Yes. I have tried those things as well. Rebooting. Clearing the cache and cookies. Tried undelete. I have TurboTax from 2011 to 2020, but no 2021 or 2022. Does TurboTax have a solution? An explanation? Or are these suggestions simply random ideas?  At what point do I start looking at other tax filing software? And how do I get my money back?

Level 1
Apr 19, 2024 4:54:43 AM

Hi. I’m almost embarrassed to report the resolution. First let me say the TurboTax people were fantastic. Brenda got a team of people on the phone with me to find the problem. As it turned out, Microsoft had automatically downloaded and installed a new operating system on my laptop which invoked one drive in the cloud. This automatically uploaded a bunch of stuff to the cloud in the background and I had no idea this had happened. Everything I was missing was there including stuff I didn’t yet know I was missing. I only use the laptop for TurboTax and a couple of other apps that don’t run on the iMac or iPad so, in my defence, I’m not up the date as much in the windows environment. So kudos to TurboTax. I hope this solves your problem too. Please get back to let us know. 

Apr 19, 2024 5:19:46 AM

@cushjg Thank you for the update. It's greatly appreciated.

@ArcticGnR As seen in @cushjg's post above, the files may have been moved by an update in the system. In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If a resolution is not found, please ask for an escalation and investigation

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.