Adoption expenses are a dependant credit. You claim them by adding your adopted child as a dependant on your tax return and then entering the adoption expenses in the Deductions section.
Before you begin:
- Ensure you can claim eligible adoption expenses this year.
- Add the adopted child to your tax return as a dependant.
To enter your adoption expenses:
- Select Find* (or the magnifying glass icon).
- In the Find window, type claims for dependants and select Go.
- Answer Yes to the question: Would you like to review or claim any of these credits? and select Continue.
- Choose the child for whom you have adoption expenses and select Enter Credit Info.
- Check Adoption expenses and select Continue.
*If you don't see the Find button, you may not have completed the Setting Up section on your return. Continue through the Setting Up section until the Find button appears.