Adoption expenses are a dependant credit. You claim them by adding your adopted child as a dependant on your tax return and then entering the adoption expenses in the Deductions section.
Before you begin:
- Ensure you are able to claim eligible adoption expenses this year.
- Add the adopted child to your tax return as a dependant.
To enter your adoption expenses:
- In the upper-right corner of your screen, select Find*.
- In the Find window, type Claims for Dependants and select Go.
- Answer Yes to the question 'Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?' and select Continue.
- Choose the child for whom you have adoption expenses from the list and select Enter Credit Info.
- Check Adoption expenses and select Continue.
If you don't see the Find button, you may not have completed the Setting Up section on your return. Continue through the Setting Up section until the Find button appears.