Get your taxes done using TurboTax

What VolvoGirl and others have said about whether distributions from defined benefit pensions are RMDs is true.  However, TT doesn't give the least bit of guidance on this issue, not even in the help files.  It took me days of online research and hours calling the plan administrator to find out that this type of pension is exempt from RMDs.  Then it took more time to figure out that I should answer YES to this question.  I'm not a tax expert and I buy TT to get help with technical details like this.  So, I think TT let me down by not clarifying this issue and by asking the question in a way where YES is not the obvious answer.  I don't understand why TT can't have an extra question asking whether this 1099-R is for a pension and what kind.  Even a sentence after the question text that says something to the effect of "If this 1099-R is for a defined benefit plan, this doesn't apply and you should answer YES, and click this link for additional help" would be a great help.  Because this issue comes up every year indicates that TT needs to provide more help to the affected customers.