yoshiw101

Can I claim foreign social insurance/tax payments as a deduction on my foreign income? If so how do I do this on turbotax?

I started a job in Japan last year but still maintain residence in Canada. As there is a tax treaty, I need to pay Canadian income taxes on my income from Japan. I was wondering if its possible to claim my payments into the Japanese Social Insurance system as a deduction on my Canadian taxes, and if so how do I do this on Turbotax. I thought putting it into the "Deductions from foreign employment income" section on the Foreign Tax Credit section would do this but it seems to have no affect on my return. 

Investors and rental owners

Under the Income tab, you will find Tslips then drop down to Foreign slip.

Because we have a treaty with Japan, you will not be double taxed. You will then apply for a Foreign Tax Credit

• Apply for the FTC -in your "Find" icon at the top of the page, type in "Foreign Tax Credit" which will open the form needed to apply for this credit.

You can claim a foreign tax credit for the taxes that you paid in the foreign country. The foreign tax credit is the lesser of two amounts:

1. The income tax you paid in the foreign country
  2. The Canadian tax payable on the foreign source of income.