If you have other employment income to report, there are several ways to enter it into TurboTax (depending on whether you are reporting this income on slips or forms). It is important to note that employment income (line 104 of your T1 General), is not the same as other income (line 130 of your T1 General), and understanding the difference is key to being able to enter your information properly.
Some common types of other employment income are:
- Foreign employment income (Foreign income slip)
- Royalties (T5 slip – box 17)
- Income from an employee-profit sharing plan (T4PS slip)
- Research grants, wage-loss replacement income, medical premium benefits, veteran’s benefits, wage-earner protection program (T4A slip)
- Tips, gratuities, and occasional earnings (may not be reported on a slip, or may be reported on a T4 slip – box 14)
- Clergy’s housing allowance or amount for eligible utilities (T4 slip – box 14)
By comparison, other income is often associated with taxable income not related to employment, such as scholarships, bursaries, alimony, retirement allowances, etc.