You can change the amount of RRSP contributions that get carried forward (to reduce your taxable income in a future year) by changing the amount you’d like to claim this year.
The amount available for deduction – the amount you deduct = amount that gets carried forward
How to change the amount you carry forward
- Select the Find* button in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
- Type “RRSP Contributions” in the Find window.
- Select RRSP Contributions to be Carried Forward and then select Go.
- On the RRSP/PRPP and SPP Carry Forward step, TurboTax displays the amount of contributions exceeding your limit. This amount is automatically carried forward. To adjust how much of this tax year’s contributions get carried forward:
- Online editions of TurboTax: Next to RRSP/PRPP contributions you are deducting, enter the amount you’d like to deduct this year and then select Continue. The remainder will get carried forward.
- For example: TurboTax shows that $3,000 are available to deduct in the current tax year. If you would like to carry forward $2,000, enter the remainder ($3,000 - $2,000 = $1,000) of $1,000 in the space provided next to RRSP/PRPP contributions you are deducting. This means $1,000 will be deducted in the current year, and the remaining $2,000 will be carried forward.
- CD/download editions of TurboTax: Enter the amount you’d like to carry forward and then select Continue.
- Online editions of TurboTax: Type “RRSP summary,” select it from the list and then select Go.
- CD/download editions of TurboTax: Type “RRSP/PRPP summary,” select it from the list and then select Go.
*If the Find option isn’t accessible, complete more of your tax return to unlock this feature.