Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 8:14:31 PM

How do I delete employment earnings which I entered in error instead of self employment income?

Under employment income I entered the amount I earned for self-employment. Then I entered both income and expenses for self-employment. Now the income shows twice. How can I delete the "net employment income" amount which I did not earn?

0 19 4077
1 Best answer
Oct 29, 2019 8:14:32 PM

There are a limited number of ways for this to happen.  It could be that you received a T4A for the amount of income, and it did not trigger a T2125 itself.  You might then enter the same amount in self-employment.

The T4A would show as employment income depending on the box.  Try clicking on the income tab to T-slips to see if you can find the double entry.
The most common forms of employment income are:

salary
    wages
    commissions
    bonuses
    employee profit-sharing
    tips and gratuities
    research grants
    directors' fees
    GST370 rebates

Employment income is typically reported in box 14 of T4 slips, box 35 of T4PS slips, and box 28 of T4A slips.

19 Replies
Oct 29, 2019 8:14:32 PM

There are a limited number of ways for this to happen.  It could be that you received a T4A for the amount of income, and it did not trigger a T2125 itself.  You might then enter the same amount in self-employment.

The T4A would show as employment income depending on the box.  Try clicking on the income tab to T-slips to see if you can find the double entry.
The most common forms of employment income are:

salary
    wages
    commissions
    bonuses
    employee profit-sharing
    tips and gratuities
    research grants
    directors' fees
    GST370 rebates

Employment income is typically reported in box 14 of T4 slips, box 35 of T4PS slips, and box 28 of T4A slips.

Oct 29, 2019 8:14:35 PM

Hi there, you should be able to click back until you get to where you entered employment income and delete that, then continue and enter you income in the correct please. 

Oct 29, 2019 8:14:36 PM

The software isn't allowing me to go back and change my employment income. I've altered my profile and reviewed the income entries that I am allowed to change, but I am not able to delete employment income.

Oct 29, 2019 8:14:38 PM

I'm having the same issue!

Oct 29, 2019 8:14:39 PM

Me too!  I can not even find it anymore where it was input.  I need to delete the amount from line 104!  please help!!!

Oct 29, 2019 8:14:41 PM

Go back to your profile and check the answer for employment income.  The page may not show up until it is checked.  Once you straighten out your profile, click on income, and scroll to where you entered the income.  Delete it and then go back and change your profile.

Oct 29, 2019 8:14:42 PM

That does't help

Feb 21, 2020 6:26:08 AM

An employment income shows automatically, I did not enter this, there are no T4s for employment income.  Why is it entered automatically?

Level 15
Feb 21, 2020 5:20:08 PM

If you are seeing an entry for Employment Income which you did not make, it could be coming from a couple of different sources.

• Did you have Employment Expenses in the previous year and a GST/HST 370 Rebate? If so, there may be a figure on Line 10400 entered after transferring your TurboTax return from the prior year.
  • Did you receive Wage Loss Replacement Benefits? If you received a T4A with an amount in Box 107, you would also see an entry on Line 10400.

It's difficult for us to determine where this amount is coming from without seeing your individual tax situation. If you would like to contact us directly via Twitter or FaceBook and provide more details, please do.

Twitter Direct Message

FaceBook Messenger Private Message

Level 2
Mar 1, 2020 3:12:57 PM

I have the same problem!

I'm 100% self employed, never entered any amount under 'employment,' but it appears that I have an income there.

I'm guessing the problem started when

I input my T4A box 20. The box is checked under 'employment' T4A. If I uncheck it, the screen won't let me pass. There will be a red error message: either you delete your T4A entry, or you must check this box.

But under 'self-employment' there is ALSO a T4A box, which also I checked.

Never encountered this problem in my past 12 years using Turbotax.

Level 2
Mar 1, 2020 3:21:14 PM

And by the way, that mysterious 'employment' income is not a number that I recognize. It is not a double entry of the T4A or any other familiar entries in my entire tax return. It's just a random number. Can't delete it, not even find where it was generated. Please help!

Level 7
Mar 2, 2020 9:26:27 AM

If you are self-employed, you should enter the T4A as any other slip and then complete the business section to claim any expenses.

If you need to delete the T4A and re-enter it, you will need to also delete the business that was formed when you entered the T4A.

Level 2
Mar 3, 2020 8:12:46 AM

The problem is, i am not 'employed' . There is an amount automatically appear under 'employment'. I did not enter this. and cannot delete it.

Level 15
Mar 4, 2020 10:09:11 AM

@icandothis

If the mystery amount is showing up on Line 10400 (previously Line 104) as "Other Employment Income", the following link from CRA gives a list of any amounts that might show up here. 

Line 10400 - Other Employment Income

You may want to check if you have a Box 118 - Medical Premium Benefits or Box 132 - Wage Earner Protection Program on your T4A as this happens offten. 

Any amounts that are Line 10100 (previously Line 101) have to come from a T4 which you have entered. 

Level 2
Mar 9, 2020 6:44:12 AM

The CRA link you provided about a list of Other Employment Incomes, I do not have any of these Other Employment Income.

As said, I only have box 020 on my T4A slip. Very simple. I have this every year. That's what I entered in my Turbotax every year. Unfortunately, the software is not as straight forward this year...

Any help would be appreciated 

Level 2
Mar 9, 2020 6:45:07 AM

I do not have a T4 slip.

Level 2
Mar 9, 2020 6:47:29 AM

No other boxes than box 020 - commissions.

Level 2
Mar 9, 2020 7:04:24 AM

I look back into my 2018 NOA. This amount also appeared on line 457 - Employee and partner GST/HST rebate.

Why do I have this rebate, as a sole-proprietor self-employment?

Level 2
Mar 9, 2020 7:41:43 AM

This was done incorrectly back then in 2018. I don't have employee or partner. I never need to file GST370.

How can I delete this on Turbotax?