Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2283mj

How do I delete employment earnings which I entered in error instead of self employment income?

Under employment income I entered the amount I earned for self-employment. Then I entered both income and expenses for self-employment. Now the income shows twice. How can I delete the "net employment income" amount which I did not earn?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I delete employment earnings which I entered in error instead of self employment income?

There are a limited number of ways for this to happen.  It could be that you received a T4A for the amount of income, and it did not trigger a T2125 itself.  You might then enter the same amount in self-employment.

The T4A would show as employment income depending on the box.  Try clicking on the income tab to T-slips to see if you can find the double entry.
The most common forms of employment income are:

salary
    wages
    commissions
    bonuses
    employee profit-sharing
    tips and gratuities
    research grants
    directors' fees
    GST370 rebates

Employment income is typically reported in box 14 of T4 slips, box 35 of T4PS slips, and box 28 of T4A slips.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

There are a limited number of ways for this to happen.  It could be that you received a T4A for the amount of income, and it did not trigger a T2125 itself.  You might then enter the same amount in self-employment.

The T4A would show as employment income depending on the box.  Try clicking on the income tab to T-slips to see if you can find the double entry.
The most common forms of employment income are:

salary
    wages
    commissions
    bonuses
    employee profit-sharing
    tips and gratuities
    research grants
    directors' fees
    GST370 rebates

Employment income is typically reported in box 14 of T4 slips, box 35 of T4PS slips, and box 28 of T4A slips.

Hi there, you should be able to click back until you get to where you entered employment income and delete that, then continue and enter you income in the correct please. 

The software isn't allowing me to go back and change my employment income. I've altered my profile and reviewed the income entries that I am allowed to change, but I am not able to delete employment income.

I'm having the same issue!

Me too!  I can not even find it anymore where it was input.  I need to delete the amount from line 104!  please help!!!

Go back to your profile and check the answer for employment income.  The page may not show up until it is checked.  Once you straighten out your profile, click on income, and scroll to where you entered the income.  Delete it and then go back and change your profile.

That does't help
starla_g

An employment income shows automatically, I did not enter this, there are no T4s for employment income.  Why is it entered automatically?

If you are seeing an entry for Employment Income which you did not make, it could be coming from a couple of different sources.

• Did you have Employment Expenses in the previous year and a GST/HST 370 Rebate? If so, there may be a figure on Line 10400 entered after transferring your TurboTax return from the prior year.
  • Did you receive Wage Loss Replacement Benefits? If you received a T4A with an amount in Box 107, you would also see an entry on Line 10400.

It's difficult for us to determine where this amount is coming from without seeing your individual tax situation. If you would like to contact us directly via Twitter or FaceBook and provide more details, please do.

Twitter Direct Message

FaceBook Messenger Private Message