Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 29, 2019 8:10:49 PM

How do I access Schedule 8? I need to be able to elect to stop CPP contributions on self-employment earnings on line 372 as I am over 65 and a CPP recipient.

There ought to be a place in TurboTax where you can indicate whether you elect or have previously elected to stop CPP contributions.

One should not have to mail in the form (as appears to be the case), the ability to make the election should be built in.

There should have been an alert on last years taxes that I would be able to make the election to stop CPP contributions after tuning 65, now, apparently I have to wait until next year to be exempt, it is costing me a large chunk of money!

0 23 4611
1 Best answer
Oct 29, 2019 8:10:51 PM

Under the Income Tab, select T-Slips -> T4AP Canada Pension Plan Benefits. This will take you to the screen which summarizes the Canada Pension Plan benefits received.   Below the summary there is a question "Did you have self-employment earnings in 2014?" Answer Yes and answer the remaining questions.

23 Replies
Oct 29, 2019 8:10:51 PM

Under the Income Tab, select T-Slips -> T4AP Canada Pension Plan Benefits. This will take you to the screen which summarizes the Canada Pension Plan benefits received.   Below the summary there is a question "Did you have self-employment earnings in 2014?" Answer Yes and answer the remaining questions.

Oct 29, 2019 8:10:52 PM

Thank you!

Oct 29, 2019 8:10:54 PM

I tried this and answered the questions, but I do not see a Schedule 8 on my return.

Oct 29, 2019 8:10:55 PM

There should be a schedule 8 in the "archive" version of your return. The "submit" version is shorter and does not include it. Make sure the earliest month you select to stop contributing to CPP is the month in which you turned 65.

Oct 29, 2019 8:10:56 PM

Here is a definite answer:   Do the following:   INCOME > OTHER INCOME SOURCES > OTHER INCOME NOT REPORTED ON T-4
Check the box “I want to make optional CPP or QPP contributions"

Level 1
Apr 26, 2022 4:08:54 PM

I can't get it to stop CPP, there is the spot on schedule 8 to stay stop CPP on Self-employment income. I am over 65 only have self-employment. The turbo tax software does not allow me to make the election to put month to stop CPP. How can I get the software to allow me to enter on the schedule 8?

Level 15
Apr 27, 2022 10:38:40 AM

You will need to make sure that you are between the ages of 65 and 70. 

You will then need to enter your T4A(P) no matter if you have one or not- Under the T4A(P) Summary You will see the following questions below which I am sharing as a screenshot.

Returning Member
Mar 29, 2023 4:03:31 PM

Hi

I have self-employment income in 2022 and have not filed the CPT30  form in 2022.    I want to stop the CPP  contribution in the 2022 tax return. I use Turbo tax Standard and input the data on T4A (P) summary which is the same as you showed in the screenshot.  I checked Schedule 8 which is correct. unfortunately, Turbox tax detected an error that prevent me from net file the tax return. I spoke to turbo support a number of times 

(Case # [phone number removed],  investigation ID  INV-24671). They provided me with a suggestion (see response below)  but it is not working.

Hello

Thanks for letting us know about your concerns with the error to elect to stop CPP contributions. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused.

We appreciate your patience while we looked into this for you. After investigating the issue, we found that upon reviewing the return that on the T4AP summary page, you will also have to select yes to the first question and enter a date that you have elected to stop CPP contributions.

If you’re still having trouble or there’s something else that we can help you with, please reach out to our TurboTax Canada team for further assistance [phone number removed].

Thank you,

Sylvia M

TurboTax Canada

I keep getting errors. Any suggestion? Thank you

Returning Member
Mar 29, 2023 4:05:20 PM

The turbotax case number is [phone number removed]

Returning Member
Mar 29, 2023 4:07:22 PM

case #'[phone number removed]'

Apr 5, 2023 3:52:08 PM

@dwchoi1668  What is the exact error message that you are getting? Are you using TurboTax CD/Download or TurboTax Online?

Returning Member
Apr 11, 2023 11:19:20 AM

Hello Sylvia M

You responded to a similar question I submitted to you for Schedule 8 and the election to stop contributing to CPP in the 2022 tax year.  The response you provided does not agree with the instructions within the Turbo Tax 2022 T4A(P) Summary interview questions, AND does not agree with the CRA tax expert I consulted.  And, the Turbo Tax interview questions for the T4A(P), do agree with the CRA expert I consulted, BUT the TT software does not use the responses to the interview questions, to correctly complete the Schedule 8.  AND, the TT software review instructs me to "FIX" the error in the T4A(P), but there is no error to fix.  The error seems to be in how the TT software uses the interview question responses to complete Schedule 8.  Unfortunately, this error affects the whole tax return, which makes it impossible to submit because it is not accurate.  Because my spouse and I file our taxes together, both tax returns are affected by this error.

What is the best course of action to take in a situation such as this one?

Thank you for your time

Returning Member
Apr 11, 2023 12:55:59 PM

I spent many hours with Turbo Tax support on this issue (stop CPP contribution on self-employment income). I told them there is a bug in the software. They reviewed TA(P) summary and could not fix the error. However, the only advice I got was to submit the paper file instead. ......

Returning Member
Apr 11, 2023 1:36:00 PM

Interesting.  I am experiencing a very similar response from Turbo Tax Support.

How did you file your tax return?

Thanks.

Returning Member
Apr 11, 2023 2:29:14 PM

There is a workaround to bypass the error and allow it to netfile the return. I am not sure whether it causes other problems.

- select   CPT30 submitted prior to 2022 and set the dates  (say 01/01/2021) in the interview question in the worksheet.  

Apr 20, 2023 11:55:16 AM

I am having exactly the same issue.  I am between 65 and 70, I only have self-employment income, and I would like to stop contributing to CPP.  Am I correct in saying that in order to stop CPP contributions, I have to also be receiving CPP benefits?  I am currently deferring the benefit and therefore do not have a T4A(P). 

Returning Member
Apr 20, 2023 12:19:33 PM

Hello Mike,

As of today, April 20, 2023, this question is still unresolved for me.  You might try asking one of the Community Moderators who works for TurboTax -  "TurboTaxBrenda1"

I think the more TT users who bring this question forward, the better the chances of having it resolved.  

My own goal has been to have the TT software agree with the Canada Revue Agency advice I have received, which can also be found at this link:   https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/cpp/canada-pension-plan-cpp-contributions-cpp-working-beneficiaries.html

Good luck!

Returning Member
Apr 20, 2023 12:21:04 PM

According to CRA, you do NOT need to be receiving CPP benefits in order to stop contributing to CPP - CRA, says "It depends..."    See this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/cpp/canada-pension-plan-cpp-contributions-cpp-working-beneficiaries.html

Apr 26, 2023 5:51:06 AM

You can enter the information as seen in the image below in the Online software. Please click on Income in the left menu in your return then click on T-Slips. Then click on the T4A(P) Canada Pension Plan Benefits and click on Done With T4A(P) without needing to fill it in and you will come to the screen in the image below. Remember to click on Done With T4A(P) at the bottom of the screen to save the information.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Apr 26, 2023 9:34:40 AM

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately, the system still won't let me elect to stop contributing to CPP. 

I do not have a T4A(P) as I am not yet collecting CPP, but I get an error message when I select the option to stop contributing (and enter the month).  It says I have "made an election to stop contributing to CPP on (my) self-employment earnings for more months than (I) have received CPP benefits in the tax year.  Please correct."

This error does not make sense given I am not receiving CPP benefits.  I cannot use Netfile until the error is cleared.  I am running out of time, so decided to write to CRA and manually request the election to stop contributing to CPP in 2021.  (I should have dealt with this last year.)  In so doing, I can now select "yes" to the question in my TurboTax return for 2022 "Did you elect to stop contributing to CPP on your self-employment earnings in a year prior to 2022?"  This gives me the desired result for tax year 2022 and there are no errors.  

However, I shouldn't have to step outside TurboTax (which I have been using for MANY years) and write to the CRA in order to correct this problem.  Do you have any idea why I am facing this issue?  Thanks.

Returning Member
Apr 26, 2023 10:44:54 AM

Hi MikeVan,

I am also still dealing with Turbo Tax and the very same issue.  Have you tried to send your message to one of the TurboTax Moderators - TurboTaxBrenda1 - has been trying to help me.  I have also been on the phone numerous times for several hours each time with Turbo Tax Help, and am still stuck in a "loop" with the Error that I cannot "Fix" inside the software.

I wish I could be more helpful; hopefully, the more people who contact TT to address this will lead to a software fix on TT.

Best of luck.

Apr 29, 2023 12:30:54 PM

TT still has the schedule 8 issue.  i had to manually send it in to CRA. this part of the software has'nt worked for the 4 years i've been trying to stop paying cpp. hoprfully this year they'll stop charging me cpp.

May 2, 2023 10:57:15 AM

Please click on the items in the menu on the left as seen below. You need to go to the T4A(P) as if you are entering one even if you are not and click Continue then please follow the steps on the image below.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.