To enter medical expenses for dependants over 18, you'll first have enter your dependant's information into TurboTax (including their net income).
Separate the medical expenses you paid for each dependant from medical expenses you paid for yourself, your spouse/partner, and/or any minor children. Medical expenses you paid for a dependant over 18 years of age should be calculated and entered separately, otherwise the amount you can claim will be reduced by 3% of your income (instead of theirs).
Choose a method for entering the expenses and perform any necessary calculations. The CRA will allow you to enter your expenses in one of two ways:
- As a total for the year: Add up all the eligible medical expenses for this dependant for your 12-month claim period and enter the amount as one expense. (Do not include expenses paid for disability supports, van adaptation, moving expenses, and private medical plans. These will be entered separately.)
- By category: Sort the medical expenses into categories (such as medications; travel; devices; etc.). Add the eligible amounts in each category and enter each category’s amount as an expense.
- Enter each receipt individually, as a separate expense.
For both methods, the CRA requires you to keep your receipts for at least six years.
Entering your expenses:
- From the left-side menu, select DEDUCTIONS CREDITS Medical expenses profile.
- On the Your medical profile step:
- Select Medical Receipts and You paid medical expenses for a dependant (other than your spouse or children under 18 years of age).
- If you have private medical plan, moving, van adaptation, attendant care or nursing home costs for your dependant, select Private medical plans and other claims.
- Select Continue.
- On the first Medical Expenses step, select Enter Expenses.
- On the second Medical Expenses step, enter your expenses using the method of your choice. Depending on how you’re entering your expenses:
- As a total for the year: At Date, enter the date of your most recent receipt for your dependant. At Amount, enter the total eligible expenses for your dependant.
- By category/type of expense: At Date, enter the date of your most recent receipt for that type of expense. At Amount, enter the eligible amount you calculated for that type of expense.
- Each receipt individually: Enter the information from your receipt.
- Select Enter Expenses to enter an additional expense.
- Select Done once you’ve entered all the expenses.
- On the Medical expense summary step, select Done With Medical Expenses.
- On the Medical expense claim step, set your 12-month claim period, and then select Continue.
- If applicable, on the Private Medical Plans and Other Claims step, enter your private medical plan, moving, van adaptation, attendant care, and nursing home expenses.
- On the Dependant Medical Expense step, enter the total you paid for each dependant over 18 years of age, and then select Continue.
- From the top of your screen, select Deductions Medical Expenses Profile.
- On the Your Medical Profile step, select You paid medical expenses for a dependant (other than your spouse or children under 18 years of age), and then select Continue.
- On the Medical Expense For Other Dependants step, select your dependant from the drop-down list and enter your expenses using the method of your choice.
- If you’re entering your expenses as a total for the year, enter the date of your most recent receipt for this dependant and the total amount you paid for them for the year.
- If you're entering your expenses by category/type of expense: Enter information about each type of expense in a separate column. At Payment date, enter the date of your most recent receipt for that type of expense. At Amount, enter the total amount you paid for that category. If you have additional types of expenses, enter them in the second and third columns. You can enter up to three categories using this method.
- At Do you wish to claim the medical expense for other dependants:,Select Yes to claim the expenses, or Select No to carry the expenses forward to a future year.
- Select Continue once you have completed entering all expenses.