In this high-tech and digital world, sometimes technology doesn't quite cooperate the way we'd like it to. Some users may experience error messaging, or encounter other obstacles during the process of filing their tax return.
We want you to know that we are aware of these issues, and our teams are working urgently to fix them as quickly as possible. We will also inform you of any problems or errors that we become aware of through third party sites (such as the CRA, Microsoft, etc), and will provide guidance and direction when required.
Please continue to check back for any updates, and refer to the list of known issues below for resolutions and additional information.
If you purchased TurboTax on CD and it won’t install, please download and install the software from the following link: Download the CD/download edition of TurboTax.
To complete the installation, you’ll need the license code from your CD envelope.
If you’re not seeing the splash (welcome) screen after you’ve installed TurboTax, you may be experiencing a Windows Installer or .NET Framework error. To solve this problem, follow the steps below:
- Go to this Microsoft page and download the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 packages to install the run-time components required to run the TurboTax software.
- Re-launch TurboTax CD/download edition.
For more information on how to troubleshoot common Windows-based computer issues, visit the Microsoft Knowledge base article, How to troubleshoot problems that may occur when you install, uninstall, or upgrade a program on a Windows-based computer.
If you get a blank screen instead of the activation window, you may have a DPI (Dots per inch) issue. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Windows Display Settings on your system.
- Locate the Scale and Layout section, and change the size of text, apps, and other items to 100%.
- In the Resolution box, select a resolution that is lower than the one it’s set to. For example, if the resolution is set to 2048 X 1152, choose 1920 X 1080.
If changing the DPI (Dots per inch) doesn’t fix the problem, try this:
- On your Windows (C:) drive, go to ProgramData\Intuit Canada\tt2020
- Locate the TTConfig.ini file and double-click to open it. A window opens.
- Locate ICPContingency=0 , then change the 0 to a 1 and save your changes.
- Launch TurboTax. A window with the message “An unexpected error occurred while activating the product” appears.
- Click on the Activate Outside button. The activation window will open in your default browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.).
- Enter your 16-digit license code to activate the TurboTax software (make sure you’re using the license code provided for TurboTax CD/download edition)
- A window will pop up with the message “Looks like you have activated your product”
If you get blocked after you’ve entered your 16-digit license code, you may be experiencing a looping issue. Here’s how to fix it:
Domain Name System (DNS) issue:
This usually occurs when an Internet Service Provider (ISP) won’t allow the user to connect to the activation server. When this looping issue arises, you will see a window with the message Host not found.
To remediate this problem, try restarting your router, then relaunch TurboTax.
If restarting your router doesn’t solve the problem, try connecting to a different mobile hotspot.
Invalid license code:
If you have inadvertently entered a TurboTax Online edition license code in TurboTax CD/download edition, you will receive an invalid license code message. Make sure you’re using the license code provided in your CD envelope upon purchase of TurboTax CD/download edition.
No known issues
Canada Revenue Agency
No scheduled outages.
For some users, access to their CRA MyAccount may be denied as a preventive action taken by the CRA, effective March 13, 2021. Impacted individuals will be contacted by the email address associated with their accounts (or by mail, if there was not one on file).
It may take until March 22 for the issues to be resolved. If you are still unable to log in, past the March 22nd deadline, contact the CRA for further assistance.
TurboTax Live - Assist and Review
All services are up to date and functional.