There are multiple ways to register for the My Account service...The fastest and easiest process is described here
It requires you to verify your identity with a Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) agent over the phone by answering questions about yourself and providing information from the last tax return that you filed. The authentication process utilizes your financial institution’s sign-in credentials (through their sign-in page) to sign you into your My Account.
Before you begin
- Your Eligibility: If you never filed a tax return with the CRA, you cannot register for the My Account service.
- CRA’s Service Hours: Make sure to complete the registration process during the availability of CRA’s telephone service agents. Typically, the telephone agents are available during standard business hours (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) from Monday to Friday.
Information You'll Need:
- Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Date of birth.
- A copy of your tax return: Open a PDF copy of your tax return or have a paper copy on hand. If you don’t have either, view instructions for how to download or print a PDF copy of your return.
- Go to CRA’s My Account for Individuals page.
- On the My Account for Individuals page, do one of the following:
- To use your financial institutions login credentials to register and access CRA’s My Account, choose Option 1 – Using one of our Sign-In Partners and select Sign-In Partner Login/Register. On your financial institution’s sign-in page, enter the same username and password you use to sign in to your institution’s online account. If the authentication is successful, you are redirected to CRA’s My Account page.
Note: If your financial institution is not listed, go back to CRA’s My Account for Individuals page and complete the below step (Option 2) instead:
If you don’t want to use your financial institution’s credentials for accessing CRA’s My Account, then choose Option 2 – Using a CRA user ID and password and select CRA register.
- On the Validate your identity—social insurance number page, enter your SIN, and then select Next.
- On the Validate your identity—continued page, use a copy of your tax return to fill out the boxes with the requested information, and then select Next.
- On the CRA security code notification page, on the line “You can choose to receive your security code…,” select email.
- On the CRA security code notification – enter email address page, enter your email address, and then select Next.
- If you chose Option 1 (Sign-in Partner Login / Register) in Step 2, the CRA security code notification—email delivery page appears.
- If you chose Option 2 (CRA Register) in Step 2, the Create—CRA user ID and password page appears. Follow the instruction on the page and continue through the process. After the process is complete, the CRA security code notification – enter email delivery page appears.
- On the CRA security code notification—email delivery page, you can take one of two different routes:
Faster Route - NOT available during peak season/hours. You can attempt at off-peak hours but there's no guarantee that you will be able to get through to a CRA agent. Try the following steps:
- Call 1-800-959-8281.
- After the call connects, listen for the menu options.
- When you hear the menu options, press 5, and then press 4.
- Verify your identity by answering the agent’s questions. (Refer to a copy of your tax return for answering any questions about amounts reported on certain lines of your return).
- Request the agent to send you the CRA security code for My Account by email.
Slower Route - If the CRA telephone queue is full or you choose not to speak to a telephone agent, try the following steps:
- Select CRA security code to be sent by mail.
- Wait 5 to 10 days for the CRA letter with the security code to arrive by mail.
- After you receive the letter, go to CRA’s My Account for Individuals page, log in, and then continue with the steps below.
- Copy or note down the security code from CRA’s email or letter.
- On the CRA security code entry page, enter the security code in the box, and then select Next.
The Welcome to My Account page appears, with full access to all the features. You’re now ready to use CRA’s Auto-fill My Return service.