Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Feb 7, 2024 4:36:30 PM

2023 standard edition opens a blank screen

The application opens a blank screen, I've tried all compabilility options and running it as administrator and it still just opens a blank screen.

1 90 2242
24 Replies
Feb 7, 2024 4:42:29 PM

Is it the licence screen that appears blank? If so, try using the tab key or the arrow keys to get into the code entry area. Type in the code and press the enter key.

Level 3
Feb 7, 2024 5:12:37 PM

The license screen doesn't even load it's just an empty white box.  Hitting the tab and the arrow keys does nothing.

My computer is running Windows 11 Home version 23H2.

Feb 7, 2024 5:20:21 PM

Try changing the scaling settings of Windows to 100% if it's not already set to that. You can also try setting your screen resolution to 800 x 600, enter the licence, and then change the screen back to normal.

Level 3
Feb 7, 2024 5:25:02 PM

That also doesn't fix the issue, it's still just a blank white box.

Feb 7, 2024 5:34:32 PM

Please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 (Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 6 PM ET) as they will be able to assist you further.

Level 3
Feb 7, 2024 5:58:26 PM

Seriously!!!   I work Monday-Friday and I'm NOT home between 9am-6pm, so you literally provide zero support!  Looks like I'll have to find another way to do my taxes this year!  I've been buying TurboTax for several years and never had this problem before!  Your 2023 version is garbage!

Feb 8, 2024 5:31:57 AM

Did you buy your TurboTax Download at a retail store? Could you try to uninstall the program completely, clear your cache and restart your computer before reinstalling the software?

Thank you for your patience.

Level 3
Feb 8, 2024 9:17:40 AM

None of your suggestions worked and I found my own solution!  In the compatibility settings I had to override the DPI scaling for the system.

Feb 8, 2024 9:43:59 AM

Thank you for your feedback- and glad you got it to work. 

Returning Member
Feb 11, 2024 4:40:06 AM

I have the same problem.  Can you detail exactly what you changed and the procedure.  Was a system change of Turbotax program? Thanks.

Level 2
Feb 11, 2024 6:12:48 PM

I think it may be a common issue, I contact Turbotax support, but no help at all. Can you please provide more detail on how you fix the issue?

Feb 12, 2024 4:45:05 PM

I had the same issue and was able to resolve it. 

If you right click on turbo tax and select run as Administrator 

And then go to Compatibility and Change High DPI Settings and select the checkbox shown below

Then it should work for you. 

Note: you may have to click on the blank Turbo tax screen for it to then show the enter license screen. Also you may have to select run 640 * 480 Screen resolution as well. Note you can revert back the settings once you get past the enter license screen.

^The above worked for me. 

Thanks,

Level 2
Feb 13, 2024 5:26:21 AM

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed explanation.  Unfortunately, I still have the issue after changing the "High DPI scaling override" setting, I have tried 3 different options: application, system, and system (Enhanced). I also try to change 650*480.

Blank screen

Feb 13, 2024 5:37:49 AM

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. 

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 3
Feb 13, 2024 5:57:29 AM

Intuit should fix the problem with their application when many customers are experiencing the same issue with this years version.  You did after all change the registration method in the application this year and this is the screen customers are having a problem loading!

A fix that works one day doesn't work the next and the problem persists for many customers.  This is an application issue!  The fix that worked for me is no longer working and I'm back at the blank screen again.  I won't be using your software this year to do my taxes!!!

Feb 13, 2024 6:01:48 AM

Thank your feedback and for bringing this to our attention. We will share this with development team and if the issue has not already been solved, will work on a fix in a future update.

Level 2
Feb 13, 2024 6:56:18 AM

As I mentioned, I called support, but they can not resolve the issue, then suggested I return TurboTax to the store.😃

Feb 13, 2024 7:27:13 AM

We are aware of this issue and are waiting for a response from the appropriate team. 

Feb 14, 2024 3:49:13 PM

For blank screens:
If you try your DPI settings, perhaps that can help. To Set Custom DPI Scaling Level for All Displays in the Control Panel
1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Display icon.
2. Under Change size of items, click/tap on the Set a custom scaling level link, then keep following the directions.
The most common reason you cannot see the boxes or enter the amounts in the boxes within TurboTax is the resolution and DPI/font settings on your system. It could be one or the other, or both. Check your font/DPI settings - if you have them turned up higher than the normal size, the bottom boxes may be cut off (for example, a customer had their DPI at 150% and once they turned that to normal, they saw the entire list of boxes for all T-Slips).

If this doesn't work please call us by clicking the following link to the Contact Us page. Then complete the required information. A phone number will appear, along with your incident ID. Call the number. This will ensure that an appropriate agent is assigned to your query

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Level 3
Feb 14, 2024 4:29:52 PM

None of your suggestions are a solution,  this is an issue with this years application, I never had this problem in any previous years and many other customers are having the exact same issue this year.  This is an issue your developers need to fix!  Get if fixed asap or customers won't be using your software this year!

Level 2
Feb 14, 2024 4:57:51 PM

The agent doesn't help, she can not fix the issue.  Initially, I thought it is only me have this blank screen issue due to some firewall or anti-virus software, but turns out so many customers have the same issue. Turbotax has to fix it.  As "mascf" mentioned as well, we don't have any problem with the previous versions, I used TurboTax since 2015 till last year 2022.  None of them has this issue.

BTW.. my system is windows 11, I also tried different monitors 27" and 23" with different DPI settings.  No luck.

Level 3
Feb 18, 2024 1:48:00 PM

Your developers need to fix this issue ASAP!  Even your latest update does not resolve the blank screen issue, your software is completely useless this year!  When multiple customers are having the same issue it's an application issue and support has been utterly useless!!!

Feb 18, 2024 5:02:49 PM

The blank screen problem is known to our product development team, but there is no “easy fix” for this as there are multiple causes and solutions. Basically, something on the user’s computer is either not allowing the activation screen to display properly, or not allowing the software to access the activation screen data from the internet. If the solutions posted above aren’t helping, we can request a call back for you from our phone support team. 

If you would like to request a refund, you can do so on this page: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/after-you-file-questions/help/how-do-i-get-a-refund-for-a-turbotax-product/00/873559

Level 3
Feb 18, 2024 5:29:40 PM

Calling your support line has not helped a single person with this issue and I have over 30 years experience working in IT!!!  This issue never occurred in any previous version and this year you completely changed the registration process, so YOUR DEVELOPERS BROKE THE APPLICATION!!!!

Your sales are going to tank this year thanks to this major bug!!!

There is literally NOTHING on my NEW computer that would be causing this issue, I even disabled the anti virus software as well as giving the application a full exemption and trying all of the compatibility options!  Your developers need to figure this out ASAP!