Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Mar 1, 2021 2:00:40 PM

Net file problem 2020

After completing my wife and my returns for 2020, reviewed and fixed all issues, the program will let me netfile her return, but not mine. It will only allow me to print and mail my return. First time in many years of using Turbo. I’ve wiped everything out and reloaded the program and the information twice, and still cannot get the program to let me select netfile with CRA  on my return. It’s a very simple return as I’m retired. 

0 18 8196
18 Replies
Level 2
Mar 20, 2021 8:30:45 AM

Exact same problem here.  Her tax return zipped through.  Mine is repeatedly rejected  with the following message:

Income:

Enter the self-employment income that doesn't qualify as earned income for RRSP purposes. The following income, if applicable, will not be included in your RRSP deduction limit:

Net self-employment income that represents the taxable portion of gains on the disposition of eligible capital property from a business you carried alone or as an active partner

This is the first time this has ever happened and there are no changes in our status from previous years.  Anyone figured out the answer. short of filing by mail?

Returning Member
Aug 30, 2021 9:47:08 PM

I'm having exactly the same problem, except it won't let me netfile either of our returns.  Have your got this resolved for yourself yet?

Would this article help? NETFILE error code 95507 (intuit.ca)

Level 2
Aug 31, 2021 1:02:18 PM

I was able to Netfile my wife's return.  I had to print a copy and mail my return to CRA.  I never received a response from Intuit/TurboTax.  I'll keep that in mind when choosing tax return software for 2021.

Returning Member
Sep 1, 2021 9:17:47 AM

Ya, that's a bit disappointing.  I've been buying intuit's tax software for over 20 years.

Jan 10, 2023 4:16:17 PM

I’m using the 2015 version of turbotax. I. Annoy use Netflix service because there is something to current and I’m not sure what the answer is. It says self-employment income that doesn’t qualify as earned income for RRSP. This income will not be included in your RRSP deduction limit for:Income reported due to the gains on the deposition of eligible capital. Whatvamiutny is it referring to??

Jan 11, 2023 7:01:22 AM

@Betsy-lu Your RRSP deduction limit is based on your earned income. If you have income that isn’t considered earned income, then it won’t be included in the RRSP deduction limit calculation. You can see the calculation on this Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) webpage, though it’s for 2021: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4040/rrsps-other-registered-plans-retirement.html#chrt_3

Also please note that the CRA is no longer accepting returns from before 2017 via NETFILE. You will have to print and mail your 2015 return.

Mar 4, 2023 6:18:13 AM

Where or how do you answer question required and continue. 

CRA NETFILE Required Information

Please answer the following questions that are required by the CRA to determine your eligibility to NETFILE and/or to provide additional information that the CRA requires for processing your return.

NETFILE Additional Information:
Dawn, if you want to use CRA's NETFILE service, you are required to answer the following CRA questions and provide the information in the applicable fields. Leave the fields blank if they do not apply to your tax situation.

Income:

Enter the self-employment income that doesn't qualify as earned income for RRSP purposes. The following income, if applicable, will not be included in your RRSP deduction limit:

Level 2
Mar 21, 2023 9:29:12 PM

I’m having the same issue, when filing my father’s return. Did you figure out how to fix this issue?

Hi @TurboTaxSusan, I need help with the issue above. Do you know how to fix in order to use Netfile. I’m currently using the 2023 turbotax home and business version. 

Level 2
Mar 23, 2023 6:37:23 AM

In submitting our returns for 2021, my wife's return, prepared concurrently with mine, was accepted by NetFile with no problem. I spent hours trying to find the glitch in mine and finally submitted a paper return by mail.

For 2022, I had a problem with both returns being rejected because of an issue with the Access Code. I finally went back to my last year's return file to check that I had copied the Access Code correctly from the previous year's return. I was embarrassed to find I had been looking at the 2020 returns. Ince I had the right Access Codes, the returns were accepted.

BTW: My 2022 return was virtually the same as my 2021 return, yet the 2021 return was not accepted by the CRA for NetFile. and I had to sublit a paper return. I still haven't figured out why.

D

Level 2
Mar 23, 2023 12:33:33 PM

Thanks for your reply, I guess I have to print it out as well. 

Mar 29, 2023 12:12:14 PM

I am having this same problem.

I have reviewed the form you posted and nothing in it applies.

This is also a simple return year after with the same income and deductions except this year a primary residence was sold with a small capital gain. I'm wondering if this is the change that triggers this CRA question,

I will print the return the return and send it in.

Look forward to the solution.

Level 2
Mar 29, 2023 12:20:08 PM

I redo the filing from scratch, then the problem resolved. I was able to submit it to Netfile. I think it could be access code issue.

Apr 3, 2023 11:26:39 AM

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

Level 2
Apr 20, 2023 4:51:04 PM

I have the same problem for a 2022 return. Unable to Netfile as it says "Income: Enter the self-employment income that doesn't qualify as earned income for RRSP purposes....." When I enter 'nothing' as it doesn't apply, still get the same problem as unable to Netfile. Try putting in $1 and still same problem. Made sure I was using the correct Netfile Access Code (as someone else suggested may be a problem), but made no difference. Called Turbotax and spent over an hour on the phone. Discovered that the program had self-populated the rental income form T776 even though the 'rental income' question was left unchecked. Tried to clear that form, but was unable to (after repeated tries). Final solution from Turbotax was to start a new file over again (and hope it works). This is such a bs answer as it is obviously a glitch in their program, but it is left up to the customer to try and fix. I'll spend a couple hours tomorrow to re-enter all the information, with the HOPES that that will correct the problem. The only other option is to print and mail the return to CRA (sure - and wait months for a refund as they are currently on strike).

P.S. The person you talk with at Turbotax is just a go-between, as they had to continually consult with their back-end technical team. Why have the go-between? Probably much simpler & quicker to just talk with someone on the technical team.

Apr 26, 2023 7:30:19 AM

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and have shared this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Mar 29, 2024 12:26:37 PM

Certainly! When it comes to RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) contributions, understanding what qualifies as earned income is crucial. Here are the key points:

Earned Income:
Earned income includes:
Net income from self-employment: This refers to the profit you earn from a business you own or operate as a self-employed individual.
Net rental income from real property: If you receive rental income from properties you own, it qualifies as earned income.
Payments from supplementary unemployment benefit plans (not Employment Insurance): These payments count as earned income.
Taxable alimony or maintenance payments received: If you receive alimony or maintenance payments that are taxable, they contribute to your earned income.
Income Sources That Do Not Qualify as Earned Income:
The following income sources do not qualify as earned income for RRSP purposes:
Investment income: This includes earnings and gains from investments such as interest, dividends, and capital gains.
Pensions: Income from pensions, including those from Deferred Profit Sharing Plans (DPSP), Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIF), Old Age Security (OAS), and Canada Pension Plan/Quebec Pension Plan (CPP/QPP), does not count as earned income.
Retiring allowances: Payments received upon retirement are not considered earned income.
Death benefits: These benefits are also excluded from earned income.
Taxable capital gains: Any gains from selling capital assets are not part of earned income.
Limited-partnership income: Income from limited partnerships does not qualify.
Remember that understanding these distinctions helps you make informed decisions about your RRSP contributions. If you have any specific questions related to your situation, consider consulting a financial advisor or tax professional for personalized advice

Mar 29, 2024 12:29:46 PM

Certainly! When it comes to RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) contributions, understanding what qualifies as earned income is crucial. Here are the key points:

1. Earned Income:

• Earned income includes:
      • Net income from self-employment: This refers to the profit you earn from a business you own or operate as a self-employed individual.
      • Net rental income from real property: If you receive rental income from properties you own, it qualifies as earned income.
      • Payments from supplementary unemployment benefit plans (not Employment Insurance): These payments count as earned income.
      • Taxable alimony or maintenance payments received: If you receive alimony or maintenance payments that are taxable, they contribute to your earned income.
  2. Income Sources That Do Not Qualify as Earned Income:

• The following income sources do not qualify as earned income for RRSP purposes:
      • Investment income: This includes earnings and gains from investments such as interest, dividends, and capital gains.
      • Pensions: Income from pensions, including those from Deferred Profit Sharing Plans (DPSP), Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIF), Old Age Security (OAS), and Canada Pension Plan/Quebec Pension Plan (CPP/QPP), does not count as earned income.
      • Retiring allowances: Payments received upon retirement are not considered earned income.
      • Death benefits: These benefits are also excluded from earned income.
      • Taxable capital gains: Any gains from selling capital assets are not part of earned income.
      • Limited-partnership income: Income from limited partnerships does not qualify.

Remember that understanding these distinctions helps you make informed decisions about your RRSP contributions.

Mar 29, 2024 3:54:52 PM

Thank you for your feedback.