Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 29, 2023 3:17:56 PM

Transfering Data from previous years

I purchased The Turbo Tax Premier program from London Drugs at a cost of $92.95.  I have used Turbo Tax programs for several years and have always been satisfied.  I downloaded the program and started completing my tax return.  Since I used Turbo Tax to complete my 2021 return, I expected that it would be a simple matter to transfer my information from the 2021 return to the 2022 return.  To access my 2021 return I was told to find the “t21” file in my Turbo Tax Directory, however I never received a “t21” file from Turbo Tax and was only provided with a PDF copy of the return. I then accessed my Turbo Tax account thinking that I could download the “t21” file from my account however I was only able to obtain a PDF version of the return.  I called your Support line to get assistance in obtaining and electronic copy of my return so that I could complete the transfer of information.  I was told by your Support representative that this was not possible and that I would not be able to transfer the information from my 2021 return to my 2022 return.  I was told that had I purchased the program online directly from Turbo Tax using my existing account that I would be able to transfer the information however since I purchased the program from a retailer and downloaded the program that this would not be possible.  I indicated that this was unacceptable, especially since I paid $92.95 for the program and also expected to have full access to my existing 2021 tax returns n order to transfer the information.  I was told that I would receive a telephone call from a senior Support Representative, and I am still waiting for a response.  In the meantime, I received an email from Turbo Tax indicating that my case was closed and would I please complete the survey.

In my view you are holding my 2021 tax return hostage since I am not able to access the electronic file to transfer information to my 2022 return.  Who owns my 2021 tax return file?  In my view I have proprietary ownership of my tax return and you are obligated to provide me with electronic (not PDF) access to my return.

Since I am a long-term customer and just spent $92.95 on your tax program, I am sure you can find a solution to this issue. 

0 6 970
6 Replies
Apr 3, 2023 7:35:21 AM

I totally agree with you and had contacted their Customer Service department on this same issue to be told it is not possible because I completed the returns online last year and am using the desktop version this year. Frustrating to say the least. 

Level 15
Apr 6, 2023 8:29:58 AM

Unfortunately, you can't transfer from TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/Download. You can only transfer from CD/Download to Online or from Online to Online or CD/Download to CD/Download. 

We apologize for this inconvenience. 

You can still sign into your TurboTax Online account to view your 2021 tax return. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Apr 6, 2023 8:39:48 AM

Our thoughts are we should be able to import from the online to the CD/Download version and vice versa. You would think there programming department could make that possible.

Apr 11, 2023 4:37:23 AM

Thank you for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Apr 14, 2023 10:59:46 AM

How do I find my 2021 return so that I can input it into my 2022 return?  

So Frustrated. 

Apr 16, 2023 1:05:20 PM