Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Feb 19, 2021 8:50:45 AM

What amount should I claim for my unused provincial tuition fees tax credits if I moved from ON to QC ?

I have been told that when changing provinces, the unused tuition credit (line 1 on Schedule 11) for the provincial tuition credit changes to whatever the federal amount is. Is this correct?

For example if I have 10.000$ federal tuition credit from last year, and 5.000$ provincial tuition credit from last year, would they now be 10.000$ each? Btw I moved from ON to QC

Thanks a lot

0 1 272
1 Replies
Level 6
Dec 22, 2021 1:34:40 PM

If you moved to Quebec from any other province, you can only claim unused federal tuition fees from previous years, not any provincial tuition or any education or textbook amounts.

For the unused Quebec tuition amounts at the 8% rate you would enter tuition amounts shown on your T2202A slips for 2013 and later tax years that haven't been deducted federally in a previous year.

For the unused Quebec tuition amounts at 20% rate you would enter tuition amounts shown on your T2202A slips for the 1997 to 2012 taxation years that have not been deducted federally in a previous year

The total entered as unused tuition fees cannot exceed the federal amount of tuition carried forward shown on your assessment notice.

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.

Thank you for using TurboTax.