TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
171 people found this useful

How do I enter tuition transferred from my spouse/partner or my child?

There are some important differences regarding how, and from whom, you can claim transferred tuition. The process of claiming these amounts (and the amounts themselves), can vary depending on these differences. Let’s first look at how you may claim tuition amounts when transferred from a spouse/partner.

Before you begin, you will need to find out the federal and/or provincial amount(s) your spouse or partner is transferring to you. Then, enter income and RRSP information for both yourself and your spouse/partner into TurboTax.

*Note for coupled returns: You will need to enter income, tuition and education information for both you and your spouse/partner. TurboTax will automatically claim the unused amounts on the spouse’s return with the higher income. (If you’re not preparing a coupled return, you’ll manually enter the amounts your spouse/partner is transferring to you.)

How to enter tuition amounts from your spouse or partner

Instructions valid for both online and CD/Download versions of TurboTax
  1. Select the icon of the magnifying glass (or Find) on TurboTax, and type Federal Spouse.
  2. Select Continue. The page will then refresh with content related to your tuition amounts.
  3. Enter the federal tuition amount being transferred to you, then select Continue.
  4. Follow the prompts to enter amounts in the fields Taxable Income, and Other Information.
  5. Select Continue until you reach a page entitled Tuition and Education Amounts*
  6. Enter the provincial tuition amount being transferred to you, then select Continue.

Note: *This option will only appear if your province offers a provincial tuition credit. If this step does not appear, you've finished claiming your tuition credits

How to enter tuition amounts from a child or grandchild

Before you begin, you will need to find out the federal and/or provincial amount(s) dependant is transferring to you. Then, enter your income and RRSP information for yourself into TurboTax. Finally, make sure to add your child or grandchild as a dependant.

Online edition CD/Download edition
  1. Select the icon of the magnifying glass (or Find) on TurboTax, and type Claims For.
  2. Select Claims for Dependants, then select Go.
  3. When prompted to review or claim any of these credits, select Yes. Then select Continue
  4. Select Enter Credit Info next to the name of the dependant who is transferring unused tuition amounts to you.
  5. Select Tranfer my Child's Tuition and Education Amounts, then select Continue
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to select Tuition Transfer, enter the amount(s) of the transfer(s), then select Continue
  1. Select the icon of the magnifying glass (or Find) on TurboTax, and type Claims For.
  2. Select Claims for Dependants, then select Go.
  3. When prompted to review or claim any of these credits, select Yes. Then select Continue
  4. Select the name of the dependant who is transferring unused tuition amounts to you, then select Enter Dependant Credits
  5. Select Transfer My Child's Tuition and Education Amounts, then select Continue
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions to enter the federal and/or provincial amounts your dependant is transferring to you, then select Continue

Related information:

How do I enter dependants in the online edition of TurboTax?

How do I enter dependants in the CD/download edition of TurboTax?  

How do I enter RRSP contributions in TurboTax?

HOW14508
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L3hMGdWIz_CA_en_CA