Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_emelan

How do i use the pension income split optimizer when the returns are separate

I am in BC and my wife is in AB.  This is due to work.  I have pension income.  How do I determine the optimal amount to split?

5 Replies

Unfortunately, the Pension Income Splitting Optimizer only works if you are preparing you returns together. If you are preparing your returns separately, you will need to decide how to split the pension yourself.

Here is the CRA’s webpage on Pension Splitting. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/pension-income-splitting.htm...

discountdumping
Returning Member

Yes, more than happy to do this on our own.  However, the program will NOT allow access to the T1032 form or income splitting part of the program. 

I was able  to get my portion completed in the "Review" section, but this option did not appear for my wife, and she isn't able to access the require input for her received pention anywhere. 

So frustrating that Turbotax locks this out.......do they not realize that many people file separately for many reasons!

Are you using TurboTax Online or TurboTax Download?

discountdumping
Returning Member

I’m using the online version. The same as previous years. It wasn’t a problem in the past versions.

Can you please contact our phone support, they will be able to view your screen and direct you.  

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.