Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Already filed, entered wrong province, wrong primary residence

I put my principal residence as BC as of Dec 2022 rather than AB.  I just filed tonight, and do not have the Notice of Assessment (NOA) yet.  Is this something I will be able to change once I receive the NOA?  On CRA it says "Assessed" but I have not gotten the NOA. I cannot change it on the CRA website or on TurboTax.

I also forgot to state my principal/primary residency correctly, as I did sell a house in BC during 2022 as well.  Will I be able to change this online also?  Again, currently unable to modify this section on CRA or TT.

This was my first year filing my own taxes and I am unexperienced.  Any help is appreciated.  Very worried!

I was unemployed for 2022.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To change your province of residence, you will need to submit a T1-ADJ form to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The T1-ADJ form is used to make adjustments to your tax return, including changing your province of residence. You can download and print the T1-ADJ form from the CRA website: T1-ADJ T1 Adjustment Request. Complete it, and mail it to the CRA.

For faster service, submit your request electronically using Change my Return in My Account or ReFILE. Once you have logged in, select "Change My Return" and then "Change My Answers". You will then be able to update your primary residence.

For more information please visit the CRA website: T1-ADJ T1 Adjustment Request

Also visit TurboTax FAQs page: How to Change Your Tax Return AFTER You’ve Filed

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will only accept one return per tax year. Once you’ve filed your return (mistakes and all), you can’t file a new one. But you can correct the original by way of an adjustment.

You must wait until you have received your Notice of Assessment before submitting any adjustment requests. 

The Canada Revenue Agency's goal is to issue your notice of assessment within two weeks of receiving your Netfiled tax return. Since you have just filed your tax return, the Notice of Assessment should be on its way. 

CRA has two ways for you to file an adjustment request – online or by mail. Online submissions are usually much quicker. The average processing time for CRA My Account adjustments is about two weeks. Adjustments filed by mail can take up to ten weeks to process.

• If you’re a CRA My Account holder, changes to your return can be submitted online via the portal. After signing into your account, click the “Change return” option from the left side. You’ll choose the tax year you want to adjust and enter line numbers and figures to correct or add information.
  • If you prefer to submit your adjustment request by paper, fill out a Form T1ADJ – T1 Adjustment Request and mail to your local tax centre. Along with the completed form, you’ll also need to include any supporting documents (receipts, slips, etc.).

Once your adjustment request has been processed, you’ll receive a Notice of Reassessment which outlines approved changes. If your adjustment request is not approved, you’ll receive a letter of explanation from CRA.

For more information, click here.

To change your province of residence, you will need to submit a T1-ADJ form to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The T1-ADJ form is used to make adjustments to your tax return, including changing your province of residence. You can download and print the T1-ADJ form from the CRA website: T1-ADJ T1 Adjustment Request. Complete it, and mail it to the CRA.

For faster service, submit your request electronically using Change my Return in My Account or ReFILE. Once you have logged in, select "Change My Return" and then "Change My Answers". You will then be able to update your primary residence.

For more information please visit the CRA website: T1-ADJ T1 Adjustment Request

Also visit TurboTax FAQs page: How to Change Your Tax Return AFTER You’ve Filed