Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return may be missing forms (and how do I tell)

I am amending a prior year (2022) return.  My original return had AMT forms (Sch D for AMT, and Form 6251).  The amended return does not have either of these forms.  Is it possible that this is correct?

Also, as I work on my current year return (2023), I am asked to enter information from my 2022 return pertaining to AMT (both of those forms), for the Capital Loss Carryover computation (which is what changed in my amended return).  Since the return was amended, do I use the info from the original form (although I suspect that may now be incorrect)?  I'm not sure why the amended return did not generate a new set of AMT forms!  Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

DId your 2022 AGI or other income go down?

If so, maybe you're not subject to AMT after amending.

@Andy19008

Yeah, no.  My AGI went up after amending, by about 17%.  The change occurred because I had less Loss Carryover from the prior year (long story...), so maybe the AMT dropped out because the calculation was different.  Can I assume that if TurboTax did not produce the AMT forms, then I'm good?  

Always print a copy of your completed tax return for your records, and review it carefully before e-Filing.
You will need it if you are audited by the IRS, or to amend if a TurboTax update changes your return or for any other reason,
===

That includes a revised return for amendment.

If your amendment dropped a form, 

you should  include with Form 1040-X a new copy of the form(s) with  -0- in the appropriate lines.

This is another deficiency of TurboTax.

You should be able to find and print the revised but dropped form using the "Print specific form" option.

@Andy19008 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies