Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

California E filing

I opted out state E filing, but I didn't get print state filing option at the end. When I printed filing documents, it states my CA has already been filed electronically and do not mail it. It has a FORM 8453-OL, which the instruction says it has be signed and dated within 1 day of acceptance. But FORM 8453-OL says do not mail this form to the FTB, very confusing.

So far I've only gotten Federal E filing confirmation, no state E filing confirmation. My intuit account has no payment methods, so there is no charges that I can see. Is this a bug?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

California E filing

Were you able to print out your California Return and get it mailed? 

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

California E filing

The instruction is not clear, what 3 steps it's referring. I don't see any 3 steps in File menu.

what steps.png

California E filing

@Javafuel If you are using the TurboTax online web-based editions -

Click on File on the left side of the online program screen.  That will take you to the file section of the program. 

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

California E filing

@DoninGAThank you for the clarification. I'm using desktop Windows version, e-filing status shows Federal return has been accepted but no mentioning of CA state anywhere. Interestingly when I launched TurboTax, there was an update for CA. 

How do I check if TurboTax has e-filed my CA tax or not? The return form from TurboTax says it has been filed electronically. But I didn't get any confirmation from the program nor email about it, only received confirmation and update emails about Federal Tax filing status.

California E filing

Check here,   For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program.  Open your return and go up to the top black menu bar first item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

California E filing

You can check that your return was received by the taxing authority  using these instructions: Check the Electronic Postmark of your Return. Pay close attention to the separate lines for Federal and State. They are separate statuses.

California E filing

@Javafuel Click on the File menu on the top left of the desktop program screen.  Then click on Electronic Filing and Check Electronic Filing Status.

If the California tax return was e-filed and Accepted by the state then the E-file Status screen will indicate -

Your California 2023 Return Accepted

California E filing

Electronic Filing History has nothing about CA return. There are couple odd records about not finding SSN and filing changed state, no clues what they are about. I only filed CA and never changed the state in the program. It must be a bug, I'm going to assume TurboTax did not file CA tax return.

California E filing

Snipaste_2024-04-22_10-24-34.png

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

California E filing

It doesn't appear your CA return was filed. 

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies