Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I apply for the spousal credit if my common-law partner was in Europe for the majority of 2020?

My common-law partner joined me in Canada in December 2020 temporarily as a visitor and is now linked to my work permit with an open work permit since March.
I supported my common-law partner with payments to help with medical expenses during the year.
1 Reply

Can I apply for the spousal credit if my common-law partner was in Europe for the majority of 2020?

We appreciate you choosing TurboTax,

For an individual to claim the spousal tax credit for a non-resident spouse, it is necessary that the non-resident be supported by the individual. The determination of support depends on the circumstances of the case. CRA will consider the following factors when determining if the non-resident spouse is supported by the individual:

• The spouse's income;
  • Pensions, Medicare, Housing, and Other benefits provided by the government of the country in which the spouse resides to the spouse;
  • It is important to consider the cost of living in the particular country as well as their ability to self-support; and
  • assistance provided by others

Please visit the link provided for further clarifications:

CRA: Line 30300 - Spouse or common-law partner amount

CRA: Federal non-refundable tax credits for newcomers and emigrants

Additionally, please refer to this thread for clarifications  

Solved: Basic Personal Amount of spouse (30300) if she com... (intuit.ca)

Because this is a unique situation, please Contact the Canada Revenue Agency directly for clarification of this matter.